Make Hyderabad interim working capital: BJP, AIMIM tell GoM
New Delhi: BJP, CPI and All India Majlis -e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (AIMIM) have agreed on a proposal for Hyderabad functioning as an interim capital for a reasonable time after bifurcation of Andhra Pradesh, but opposed any move to make it a joint capital for a prolonged period.
The three parties on Tuesday conveyed this here to the Group of Ministers looking into the process of bifurcation of the state.
"We do not believe in joint and common capital. Hyderabad Mandal comprising of assembly and secretariat should be made the interim working capital for a reasonable time," AIMIM leader Asaduddin Owaisi, who is MP from Hyderabad, said.
He stressed that nowhere in the world there is a capital for one country in another. "How can you have a capital of a state, which is 180 kilometers away in another state? This is not possible," he told reporters.
Owaisi also decried claims of a section of Union Ministers from Andhra Pradesh that there were threats to Seemandhra people.
The AIMIM leader sought law and order not be brought under the control of the Centre, after the creation of the new state.
Apparently, the BJP said that the party has agreed to Hyderabad being the temporary capital.
BJP president G Kishan Reddy said that his party was committed to creation of Telangana and demanded that the Telangana bill be introduced during the upcoming winter session of Parliament.
Echoing similar views, Andhra Pradesh CPI secretary Narayana said separate capital must be created for Seemandhra within 10 years.
"They can choose between Vijayawada and Ongole for developing as capital cities," he suggested.
Union Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde, Defence Minister A K Antony and Minister for Rural Development Jairam Ramesh, who are part of the GoM, were present in the meeting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system?
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part II
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part III
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part IV
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part V
- Rupee snaps 9-day slide, rebounds 42 paise to 67.33 Vs USD
- Have always been confident about my work: Richa Chadha
- Foreign investors bullish on equity, cautious on debt: DBS
- Shocking! Death-defying train stunt performed by youngsters in Mumbai - Watch video
- Shooter Heena Sidhu misses out on final berth