Man dies after being hit by cop`s baton
Hyderabad: A 77-year-old retired government official died on Saturday after he was accidentally hit by a lathi (baton) thrown by police officer at a speeding motorist.
Pratap Reddy, a retired official of the forest department, succumbed to his injuries at a private hospital on Saturday, a day after he was injured in the incident that took place at Vanasthalipuram in the limits of Cyberabad police commissionerate.
A traffic sub-inspector flung his lathi in an effort to stop a speeding biker but it hit the old man who sustained head injuries. He was taken to the hospital in a critical condition.
Vanasthalipuram traffic sub-inspector RS Joseph, who was checking the vehicles along with his subordinates, had ordered a biker to stop but he did not comply. The cop threw his lathi but it missed the target and hit another man.
Taking serious note of the incident, Cyberabad Police Commissioner Thirumala Rao suspended the sub-inspector and a constable. He said disciplinary action would be taken against the sub-inspector. He also dismissed a homeguard in connection with the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Samajwadi Party's 'kaam bolta hai' slogan faces litmus test