Mecca Masjid blast: Andhra High Court stays minority compensation
Zee Media Bureau
Hyderabad: In a significant development, the Andhra Pradesh High Court on Tuesday cancelled the compensation given to 70 Muslim youth wrongly arrested in connection with blasts cases and asked the state government to recover money from them.
The High Court, while setting aside a 2011 state government order offering compensation to 70 Muslim youngsters who were wrongly detained and later acquitted in the 2007 Mecca Masjid blast case, said there was no legal basis for it.
The High Court, while passing the verdict that is likely to have major ramifications, said the government went beyond its jurisdiction while awarding the compensation.
The order was passed in response to a citizen`s petition which challenged the government`s authority to pay such compensation.
The complainants were free to file a civil case for compensation, the High Court said.
A large number of Muslims youths had alleged that they were tortured in custody.
In 2011, on the recommendation of the National Minorities Commission, the state government had offered Rs 20,000 to 50 Muslim youngsters and Rs 3 lakh each to 20 others who were arrested and allegedly tortured in police custody.
The state government also decided to implement the recommendations made by the National Commission of Minorities to undo the injustices done to these youths. Fourteen people were killed and 118 injured in the blasts and subsequent police firing on agitators.
As most of the amount has already been disbursed, the state government is likely to file an appeal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How will Sonowal's govt solve problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam?
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam - Part II
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part III
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part IV
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Watch: Disney's 'Beauty and the Beast' teaser trailer will leave you wanting more
- It's out! Kangana, Shahid and Saif Ali Khan's 'Rangoon' release date set!
- Indian Premier League 9, Qualifier 1: Royal Challengers Bangalore vs Gujarat Lions - As it happened...
- Angelina Jolie to teach masters course at London School of Economics!
- Sarbananda Sonowal takes charge as Assam’s first BJP CM, PM Modi attends his swearing-in