Mecca Masjid blast case: Accused sent to 10-day CBI custody
Hyderabad: A city court Tuesday granted
10-day police custody of Lokesh Sharma, one of the accused in
the 2007 Mecca Masjid blast case, to CBI.
Sharma will be in CBI`s custody from tomorrow till
July 9. The court passed the orders after CBI filed a petition
yesterday seeking custodial interrogation of Sharma in
connection with the Mecca Masjid blast case.
After completion of Test Identification Parade of
Sharma, CBI sought his custody for a period of 15 days, saying
questioning of Sharma can throw more light and help in
investigations to arrive at the truth in the case. However,
the court permitted 10-day police custody.
Another accused Devender Gupta, who allegedly
conspired to carry out explosion in the Mecca Masjid, is
presently under custody of CBI till June 30.
Gupta and Sharma were brought to Hyderabad by CBI from
Ajmer on June 17, as part of further investigation into the
Mecca Masjid blast that had left nine persons dead on May 18,
2007. The duo are presently under judicial remand.
The premier investigating agency, which is probing the
Mecca Masjid blast, had registered a case on June 9, 2007
under various sections of IPC and Unlawful Activities
Prevention Act and has so far named five persons (all having
alleged links with RSS) including Gupta and Sharma as accused
in the case.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference