Mecca Masjid blast: Murder charges filed against Aseemanand
Hyderabad/New Delhi: Counter-terror probe wing, the National Investigation Agency (NIA) Monday filed murder charges against Hindutva leader Swami Aseemanand for his alleged involvement in the 2007 Mecca Masjid blast.
"The National Investigation Agency filed a supplementary charge sheet before the Hyderabad special court for NIA cases against the accused, Nabakumar Sarkar alias Swami Aseemanand, one of the main conspirators of the bomb blasts in the Mecca Masjid," an official statement said.
The charges against Aseemanand include muder, attempt to murder and others including under Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act and Explosive Substances Act.
The bomb blast in the main mosque in Hyderabad on May 18, 2007 killed nine people and injured 58.
The investigation into the blast was conducted by the state police first and the case was later entrusted with the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) which filed charges against other accused, Devender Gupta and Lokesh Sharma, who were arrested and are in judicial custody.
Aseemnand was arrested in November 2010 from Hardwar where he was hiding under a fictitious name `Swami Omkaranand`.
The NIA took over the Meccca blast case in April this year.
Aseemanand is now in Ambala jail. He is also accused in the 2007 Samjhauta Express train bombing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch
- In Pics: Indian Super League 2015 opening ceremony!
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Read: What Salman Khan has to say about Akshay's 'Singh Is Bliing'