Medak bypoll likely to witness keen contest
Hyderabad: The upcoming bypoll in the Medak Lok Sabha constituency is likely to witness a keen contest with all the major parties gearing up to put up a tough fight.
Congress General Secretary and in-charge of party affairs in Telangana and Andhra Pradesh Digvijay Singh on Sunday said the party would fight the polls on its own.
"Medak by-election is going to be held. We will decide our candidate. A news item appeared in some newspaper that there could be an understanding or agreement. There is no such thing and we are capable of fighting on our own," he said addressing a two-day convention held here to deliberate on the future course of action for Telangana Congress.
The by-poll was necessitated with the resignation of Telangana Chief Minister K Chandrasekhar Rao, who contested both Legislative Assembly (from Gajwel in Medak district) and Lok Sabha elections from Medak in the simultaneous elections held in undivided Andhra Pradesh and won both with huge margins.
Meanwhile, for Congress, the names of former minister Sunita Laxma Reddy and ex-MLA T Jayaprakash Reddy have been doing rounds as possible candidates for the bypoll.
TDP and BJP, partners in NDA, are expected to continue their alliance for the by-election as well. The leaders of Telangana TDP and BJP are scheduled to meet today to firm up their plans.
The issue was reportedly discussed when BJP President Amit Shah called on TDP President and Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu two days ago during a visit to the city.
There are indications that BJP, supported by TDP, would field candidate in the bypoll, seeking to wrest the seat on the popularity of the saffron party and the Narendra Modi government.
TRS would like to retain the seat as it was vacated by its chief and that Medak is his native district. Telangana employees` union leader Devi Prasad`s name is anticipated to to be announced as the possible candidate of the party.
The constituency goes to polls on September 13 and the last date for filing nominations is August 27. Counting of votes will take place on September 16.
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- One minute of intense exercise can help you stay fit!
- Don't refer Bhagat Singh, Chandra Shekhar Azad as terrorists: HRD Ministry to DU
- Navjot Singh Sidhu takes oath as Rajya Sabha member – SEE PICS
- 7th Pay Commission: Govt employees likely to get huge pay checks by June-July 2016
- Andrew Flintoff tells Yuvraj Singh – 'I will cut your throat off'....Read Yuvi's reply