Media should act judiciously for public good: AP Lokayukta
Hyderabad: Media must use its freedom judiciously while working for larger public good, eminent speakers at a seminar said here on Tuesday.
Appreciating the role of media in a vibrant democracy like
India, Andhra Pradesh Lokayukta B Subhashan Reddy said mediapersons should act reasonably and constructively within their limits.
He was speaking at the seminar on `Freedom of the Media`
organised by the Press Academy of Andhra Pradesh.
Observing that there are a number of laws in India that
touch every sphere of life, he felt that awareness about them needs to be promoted among mediapersons and others.
Regretting the fall in standards in polity and also administration in the country, Lok Satta Party president and MLA N Jayaprakash Narayan said media should work for its true mission.
Citing certain examples, senior journalist K Ramachandra
Murthy regretted that good news stories which were carried in larger public interest did not evoke enthusiastic response many a time from the society.
Hailing the noble profession of journalism, senior journalist G Vallishwar rued that the freedom of mediapersons is often controlled by the managements.
Madabhushi Sridhar, an academician and media commentator,
felt the press council needs to be broad-based to effectively deal with emerging issues in the media.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!