Media should act judiciously for public good: AP Lokayukta
Hyderabad: Media must use its freedom judiciously while working for larger public good, eminent speakers at a seminar said here on Tuesday.
Appreciating the role of media in a vibrant democracy like
India, Andhra Pradesh Lokayukta B Subhashan Reddy said mediapersons should act reasonably and constructively within their limits.
He was speaking at the seminar on `Freedom of the Media`
organised by the Press Academy of Andhra Pradesh.
Observing that there are a number of laws in India that
touch every sphere of life, he felt that awareness about them needs to be promoted among mediapersons and others.
Regretting the fall in standards in polity and also administration in the country, Lok Satta Party president and MLA N Jayaprakash Narayan said media should work for its true mission.
Citing certain examples, senior journalist K Ramachandra
Murthy regretted that good news stories which were carried in larger public interest did not evoke enthusiastic response many a time from the society.
Hailing the noble profession of journalism, senior journalist G Vallishwar rued that the freedom of mediapersons is often controlled by the managements.
Madabhushi Sridhar, an academician and media commentator,
felt the press council needs to be broad-based to effectively deal with emerging issues in the media.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- Gujarat Dalit protest: After Rahul, Kejriwal to visit violence-hit Una today
- PM Narendra Modi to lay foundation stone of AIIMS in Gorakhpur today
- Rajya Sabha to vote on bill seeking 'special status' for Andhra Pradesh today
- 'Bunty Chor' - Delhi's high-end car thief arrested; BMW, Toyota Fortuner recovered
- Mayawati slur: Dayashankar Singh may surrender today; wife alleges harassment by BSP goons