Media should act judiciously for public good: AP Lokayukta
Hyderabad: Media must use its freedom judiciously while working for larger public good, eminent speakers at a seminar said here on Tuesday.
Appreciating the role of media in a vibrant democracy like
India, Andhra Pradesh Lokayukta B Subhashan Reddy said mediapersons should act reasonably and constructively within their limits.
He was speaking at the seminar on `Freedom of the Media`
organised by the Press Academy of Andhra Pradesh.
Observing that there are a number of laws in India that
touch every sphere of life, he felt that awareness about them needs to be promoted among mediapersons and others.
Regretting the fall in standards in polity and also administration in the country, Lok Satta Party president and MLA N Jayaprakash Narayan said media should work for its true mission.
Citing certain examples, senior journalist K Ramachandra
Murthy regretted that good news stories which were carried in larger public interest did not evoke enthusiastic response many a time from the society.
Hailing the noble profession of journalism, senior journalist G Vallishwar rued that the freedom of mediapersons is often controlled by the managements.
Madabhushi Sridhar, an academician and media commentator,
felt the press council needs to be broad-based to effectively deal with emerging issues in the media.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Check Jharkhand JAC 12th Intermediate Arts Results 2015 on jac.nic.in