Mee Seva employee, who set herself ablaze, succumbs to burns
Rajahmundry (AP): A 28-year-old Mee-Seva Centre employee, who suffered 80 percent burns after she set herself on fire during an agitation, succumbed to her injuries at a hospital here, police said on Saturday.
G Sujatha, who attempted suicide on Wednesday after pouring petrol on self, died last night at the Government General hospital here, they said.
She was leading the agitation launched by the Centre employees in East Godavari district for the last few days, demanding payment of wages by seventh of every month, sanction of earned leave, weekly off and better service conditions.
After hearing the demise of their leader large number of Mee-Seva Centre employees from Rajahmundry, Kakinada, Amalapuram and other parts of the district rushed to the hospital here and blocked roads and staged demonstrations.
The road traffic between Visakhapatnam-Vijayawada was disrupted for nearly two hours on this account but was restored later.
The agitating employees met the Sub-collector and submitted memorandum to him enlisting their problems.
They alleged that Sujatha committed suicide due to the harassment by the management and demanded immediate compensation for her family.
Meanwhile, Mee-Seva Centre services were hit in the district due to the agitation.
There are 18 such centres in the district, which carry out nearly 15 regular and 23 revenue services.
They carry out nearly 8,000-10,000 transactions in a day ranging between 40-50 lakhs.
- ‘Kaabil’ Hrithik Roshan’s first look out – Here it is
- Champions League: Real Madrid edge past Manchester City to set up all-Madrid final
- AgustaWestland chopper deal: ED to quiz former IAF chief SP Tyagi today
- Sushant Singh Rajput reveals why his ‘Pavitra Rishta’ with Ankita Lokhande ended
- IPL 2016: Shah Rukh Khan thinks his son AbRam could be a mystery fielder – Find out why