MHA to provide choppers for anti-Maoist operations: AP DGP
Hyderabad: The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) has advised Naxalite-affected states to set up joint task forces while choppers are provided for anti-Maoist operations, Andhra Pradesh Director-General of Police V Dinesh Reddy said on Monday.
"Recently the MHA took a decision to set up joint task force where MHA will give us choppers so that we can send them to a distance of about 10 kms across state borders from where joint operations could be carried out," he told reporters.
Such joint operations were already being carried out at Gadchiroli in Maharashtra, Chhattisgarh and Andhra-Odisha border areas bordering the eight Maoist-affected districts of Andhra Pradesh, he said.
"There are over 300 underground cadres from Andhra Pradesh, of which around 200 migrated to other states, while the rest of the underground cadres stay in bordering districts of other states and occasionally cross over into Andhra Pradesh. However, the Andhra Pradesh police has been driving them back," he said.
In order to control Maoists, the Andhra Pradesh police has taken a lead in joint operations in co-operation with other state police forces, along with Andhra Pradesh`s elite anti-Maoist commando force Greyhounds and special units of the Chhattisgarh police, by crossing state borders upto a distance of 10 kms to flush out extremists.
The Andhra Pradesh top cop said that the state police successfully kept left-wing extremism under check this year by arresting as many 299 extremists, including Maoist leaders while 304 Maoists surrendered.
There were four exchanges of fire where three extremists died and 51 weapons were seized, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj