Mild tremor felt in parts of Andhra Pradesh
Hyderabad: A mild intensity earthquake with a magnitude of 3.8 on the Richter Scale jolted parts of Andhra Pradesh on Monday.
"It was a 3.8 magnitude earthquake and its epicentre was 20 km west of Narasaraopet in Andhra Pradesh or 25 km east of Nagarjuna Sagar reservoir," CSIR-National Geophysical Research Institute (NGRI) chief scientist R K Chadha told PTI.
The tremor were felt for some seconds in the districts of Prakasam, Nalgonda, Guntur, Khammam and Krishna at around 11 AM, Chadha said.
There were no immediate report of any casualty.
"This kind of moderate earthquake in the Indian Peninsular Shield can go up to magnitude of 5," he said.
"Now we are passing through a seismically active period globally. Throughout the world we are seeing an increase in earthquakes of magnitude of 8.5 and above. Clustering of large earthquake is happening at global scale," Chadha said.
"When you are in a seismically active period globally you will also observe an increase in smaller magnitude earthquake activity," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray