Mild tremor felt in parts of Andhra Pradesh
Hyderabad: A mild intensity earthquake with a magnitude of 3.8 on the Richter Scale jolted parts of Andhra Pradesh on Monday.
"It was a 3.8 magnitude earthquake and its epicentre was 20 km west of Narasaraopet in Andhra Pradesh or 25 km east of Nagarjuna Sagar reservoir," CSIR-National Geophysical Research Institute (NGRI) chief scientist R K Chadha told PTI.
The tremor were felt for some seconds in the districts of Prakasam, Nalgonda, Guntur, Khammam and Krishna at around 11 AM, Chadha said.
There were no immediate report of any casualty.
"This kind of moderate earthquake in the Indian Peninsular Shield can go up to magnitude of 5," he said.
"Now we are passing through a seismically active period globally. Throughout the world we are seeing an increase in earthquakes of magnitude of 8.5 and above. Clustering of large earthquake is happening at global scale," Chadha said.
"When you are in a seismically active period globally you will also observe an increase in smaller magnitude earthquake activity," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- Panel discussion on detention of goat for grazing in bureaucrat's garden
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- WATCH: 'Sting videos of Kejriwal govt's minister Imran Hussain's staffer demanding bribe of Rs 25 lakh for his boss'
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch