MIM leader Akbaruddin Owaisi released from jail
Hyderabad: Nearly 40 days after he was arrested in a hate speech case, MIM leader Akbaruddin Owaisi walked out of jail on Saturday.
The legislator was released from district jail in Adilabad, about 300 km from here, at 5 pm after his lawyers completed all formalities of the bail granted him on Friday.
Courts in Adilabad and Nizamabad hon ad Friday granted conditional bail to the Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (MIM) leader.
As per the condition laid down by Adilabad court, he had to surrender his passport to the concerned court in Nirmal town. Party leaders said the other paper work also took time.
Hundreds of MIM workers greeted Owaisi as he stepped out of jail, supported by his close aides. He appeared weak and was having difficulty in walking due to ill-health. His lawyers in both the court had sought bail on health grounds.
The young leader got into his bullet-proof vehicle and left for Hyderabad along with other MIM legislators and party leaders.
MIM supporters had gathered outside the jail since morning. Holding party flags and raising slogans, they waited for their leader.
The celebrations continued in MIM camp in Hyderabad and other districts. Party activists were reaching MIM headquarters in Hyderabad in large numbers to celebrate Owaisi`s release.
A member of the Assembly from Chandrayangutta in Hyderabad, Owaisi is facing charges of sedition, waging war against the nation and promoting enmity between people. He is the younger brother of MIM chief and MP Asaduddin Owaisi.
Akbar was arrested on January 08 in a hate speech case booked against him in Nirmal town on January 03. A separate case was booked in Nizamabad.
He had delivered the controversial speeches at public meetings in Nizamabad and Nirmal on December 8 and 22, respectively. Police took action after the speeches went viral over social networking sites and some people lodged complaints with police and courts.
The MIM leader, who was away in London, returned here on January 07 and was arrested by police the next day.
His voice was recorded in both the courts and sent for forensic examination as he claimed that the voice in the footage was not his.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Osama bin Laden is alive, staying in Bahamas, claims Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter