MIM leader attack: 7 accused in judicial custody
Hyderabad: A city court Wednesday sent seven accused in the case relating to an assassination attempt on Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (MIM) legislator Akbaruddin Owaisi to 14 days of judicial custody.
The police presented in court the accused, including prime-accused Mohammed Bin Omer Yafai alias Mohammad Pahelwan. The magistrate remanded them to two weeks` judicial custody. They were later shifted to Cherlapally jail.
A group of 10-11 people had attacked Owaisi at Barkas in the Old City Saturday when he was visiting his Chandrayangutta assembly constituency.
The young leader was stabbed and shot at by the assailants. Another MIM legislator, Ahmed Balala, and a corporator were also injured in the attack.
One assailant was killed and two others were injured when Balala`s security guard opened fire to save the legislators.
Police said it would arrest two other accused once they are discharged from hospital. They are also on the lookout for two to four other accused.
According to police, a land dispute between Akbaruddin and Pahelwan led to the attack.
Meanwhile, doctors attending on Akbaruddin said his condition was improving. According to a medical bulletin by Care Hospital Wednesday, the doctors have stopped dialysis following improvement in his kidney function. All vital organs of the legislator are functioning normally.
In another related development, police served notice on a local television channel for telecasting the video footage of the attack on Owaisi. Anticipating law and order problems, the police asked the management of TV4 to stop telecast of the footage. A notice was also issued for showing the pictures which can provoke violence.
The footage showed how a group of assailants attacked Owaisi with daggers and a revolver. A profusely bleeding Owaisi was lying on the ground with Pahelwan`s relatives continuing their attacks.
The telecast of the visuals on TV4 again triggered tension in the Old City of Hyderabad Tuesday night as MIM supporters took to streets and pelted stones at a hotel and function hall owned by Pahelwan`s family.
The police forced closure of shops and intensified patrolling to prevent any untoward incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video