MIM MLA arrested for `slapping` policeman
Hyderabad: A legislator of
Majlis-Ittehadul-Muslimeen (MIM) was on Sunday arrested for
allegedly slapping a policeman on duty.
Karwan MLA Afsar Khan was arrested on the charge of
"slapping" constable Shiva Prasad, attached to Humayun Nagar
police station, near Shakina complex last night, they said.
Constable Shiva Prasad had gone to the complex along
with Sub-Inspector Nagender Rao following a complaint of a
quarrel between two groups, Asifnagar division Assistant
Commissioner of Police L T Chandra Sekhar said.
"When police tried to pacify the groups, Khan along with
his supporters reached the place and picked up an argument. He
then held the collar of the constable and slapped him," police
"We have booked a case against the MLA under Section
353 of IPC (Assault or criminal force to deter a public
servant from discharging duty)," he said.
As the news of Khan`s arrest spread, his supporters
assembled in large numbers and staged a sit-in raising
anti-police slogans in front of Humayun Nagar police station.
Khan has been involved in several controversial cases,
including the attack on Bangladeshi writer Taslima Nasreen at
the Press Club here in 2007.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey