MIM MLA Owaisi to appear before Andhra police on Monday
Hyderabad: Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen MLA Akbaruddin Owaisi, booked for allegedly delivering a hate speech against a particular community, is likely to appear before police on Monday, even as fresh complaints against him poured in for the same.
"He (Owaisi) will appear before the police tomorrow," a senior police officer said, adding that his statements will be recorded in connection with cases registered against him.
When asked if the police anticipated any trouble due to his appearance, the police officer said, "Everything will be taken care of".
Yesterday, Andhra Pradesh DGP V Dinesh Reddy said Owaisi informed police that he was undergoing treatment in London and would appear before it shortly.
As part of a further probe into the two cases, notices were issued against Owaisi on January 4 and he was directed to appear before police in Adilabad district on January 7, as well as the Nizambad II Town police on January 8.
Another notice was served to the MIM legislator by Osmania police asking him to appear before it on January 10.
While two FIRs were registered suo motu at Adilabad and Nizamabad districts, a third case was registered by Osmania University police, following a court directive after Owaisi allegedly used inflammatory language against a particular community last month.
Fresh complaints continued to pour in against Owaisi from Malkangiri and Vanasthalipuram, though no cases have been registered, police said.
Owaisi, who represents Chandrayangutta Assembly constituency, has been booked under Sec 153A (promoting enmity between different groups on grounds of religion) and Sec 295A (deliberate and malicious acts intended to outrage religious feelings) of IPC.
The MIM legislator has also been booked under Sec 121 (waging or attempting to wage war, or abetting waging of war, against the Government of India) of IPC.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...