MIM MP Asaduddin Owaisi surrenders, sent to jail
Hyderabad: In yet another blow to the MIM, its chief and Hyderabad MP Asaduddin Owaisi was Monday sent to jail in Andhra Pradesh`s Medak district in connection with a case booked against him in 2005.
The Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen chief surrendered before a court in Sangareddy town, 65 km from here. The judge sent him to judicial remand till Feb 2. He was subsequently shifted to a jail in the town.
The Hyderabad MP`s lawyers filed a bail petition on his behalf but the court adjourned the hearing to Tuesday.
Owaisi, who is prime accused in the case, surrendered after the court dismissed his petition, seeking cancellation of the non-bailable warrant pending against him.
The MIM leader along with his younger brother Akbaruddin Owaisi and others were booked by police on March 16, 2005, for obstructing officials from carrying out demolition of a place of worship to facilitate road extension at a village called Muttangi.
Police reopened the case against them after Akbaruddin Owaisi was arrested earlier this month for making hate speeches. Akbar, a member of state assembly, is currently lodged in a jail in Adilabad district.
The police had produced Akbar before Sangareddy court on Jan 16. The court had adjourned the hearing till Jan 28.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH