MIM MP Asaduddin Owaisi surrenders, sent to jail
Hyderabad: In yet another blow to the MIM, its chief and Hyderabad MP Asaduddin Owaisi was Monday sent to jail in Andhra Pradesh`s Medak district in connection with a case booked against him in 2005.
The Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen chief surrendered before a court in Sangareddy town, 65 km from here. The judge sent him to judicial remand till Feb 2. He was subsequently shifted to a jail in the town.
The Hyderabad MP`s lawyers filed a bail petition on his behalf but the court adjourned the hearing to Tuesday.
Owaisi, who is prime accused in the case, surrendered after the court dismissed his petition, seeking cancellation of the non-bailable warrant pending against him.
The MIM leader along with his younger brother Akbaruddin Owaisi and others were booked by police on March 16, 2005, for obstructing officials from carrying out demolition of a place of worship to facilitate road extension at a village called Muttangi.
Police reopened the case against them after Akbaruddin Owaisi was arrested earlier this month for making hate speeches. Akbar, a member of state assembly, is currently lodged in a jail in Adilabad district.
The police had produced Akbar before Sangareddy court on Jan 16. The court had adjourned the hearing till Jan 28.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets 2000 km strategic road for development
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Traditional Indian diet dramatically cuts Alzheimer's risk
- Carnage in Florida: KL Rahul, Evin Lewis tons laid foundation for West Indies-India T20I run mountain
- Over 34,500 criminals sentenced in 1 year in UP: DGP(Prosecution)
- Venezuela sends opposition leader back to jail, expels Ecuadoran lawmakers
- Burhan Wani's father meets Sri Sri Ravi Shankar