MIM MP Asaduddin Owaisi surrenders, sent to jail
Hyderabad: In yet another blow to the MIM, its chief and Hyderabad MP Asaduddin Owaisi was Monday sent to jail in Andhra Pradesh`s Medak district in connection with a case booked against him in 2005.
The Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen chief surrendered before a court in Sangareddy town, 65 km from here. The judge sent him to judicial remand till Feb 2. He was subsequently shifted to a jail in the town.
The Hyderabad MP`s lawyers filed a bail petition on his behalf but the court adjourned the hearing to Tuesday.
Owaisi, who is prime accused in the case, surrendered after the court dismissed his petition, seeking cancellation of the non-bailable warrant pending against him.
The MIM leader along with his younger brother Akbaruddin Owaisi and others were booked by police on March 16, 2005, for obstructing officials from carrying out demolition of a place of worship to facilitate road extension at a village called Muttangi.
Police reopened the case against them after Akbaruddin Owaisi was arrested earlier this month for making hate speeches. Akbar, a member of state assembly, is currently lodged in a jail in Adilabad district.
The police had produced Akbar before Sangareddy court on Jan 16. The court had adjourned the hearing till Jan 28.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed