MIM to take stand on Telangana at appropriate time
Hyderabad: Maintaining that the security of
Muslims was its prime concern, the Majlis
Ittehadul-e-Muslimeen today said it would take "an appropriate
stand at an appropriate time" on the Telangana statehood
MIM’s second-in-command and floor leader in Andhra
Pradesh Assembly Akbaruddin Owaisi told PTI here today, "As
representatives of Muslims, we are primarily concerned about
their security not only in Hyderabad city but also in rural
areas. Their welfare, upliftment and protection of interests
are our concern."
The MIM hence could not take any hasty decision, as it
would have a lot of implications, Akbar pointed out.
It may be recalled that late Andhra Pradesh Chief
Minister Y S Rajasekhara Reddy had many a time shown MIM as a
strong opponent of separate Telangana state given the
reservations Muslims had over the division of state.
To "address their concerns" Rajasekhara Reddy constituted
a committee of legislators, headed by the then Finance
Minister K Rosaiah to look into all issues involved.
The Rosaiah committee virtually remained on paper even
when Rajasekhara Reddy was at the helm.
After becoming CM, Rosaiah hinted at re-constitution of
the committee, but it too did not happen, as the movement for
a separate state picked momentum with the launch of
fast-unto-death by TRS president K Chandrasekhar Rao.
Also, there is a general impression that the MIM would
want Hyderabad to be made a Union Territory if at all the
Telangana state is carved out.
"People may have any impression (on Hyderabad being made
a Union Territory). But, as a party we have not yet discussed
anything on this. We shall discuss all these things in our
party and spell out our stand at an appropriate time,"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune