MIM to take stand on Telangana at appropriate time
Hyderabad: Maintaining that the security of
Muslims was its prime concern, the Majlis
Ittehadul-e-Muslimeen today said it would take "an appropriate
stand at an appropriate time" on the Telangana statehood
MIM’s second-in-command and floor leader in Andhra
Pradesh Assembly Akbaruddin Owaisi told PTI here today, "As
representatives of Muslims, we are primarily concerned about
their security not only in Hyderabad city but also in rural
areas. Their welfare, upliftment and protection of interests
are our concern."
The MIM hence could not take any hasty decision, as it
would have a lot of implications, Akbar pointed out.
It may be recalled that late Andhra Pradesh Chief
Minister Y S Rajasekhara Reddy had many a time shown MIM as a
strong opponent of separate Telangana state given the
reservations Muslims had over the division of state.
To "address their concerns" Rajasekhara Reddy constituted
a committee of legislators, headed by the then Finance
Minister K Rosaiah to look into all issues involved.
The Rosaiah committee virtually remained on paper even
when Rajasekhara Reddy was at the helm.
After becoming CM, Rosaiah hinted at re-constitution of
the committee, but it too did not happen, as the movement for
a separate state picked momentum with the launch of
fast-unto-death by TRS president K Chandrasekhar Rao.
Also, there is a general impression that the MIM would
want Hyderabad to be made a Union Territory if at all the
Telangana state is carved out.
"People may have any impression (on Hyderabad being made
a Union Territory). But, as a party we have not yet discussed
anything on this. We shall discuss all these things in our
party and spell out our stand at an appropriate time,"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Three Taliban commanders arrested in Afghanistan's Samangan province
- Kamal Haasan still under medical care in hospital
- Kashmir unrest: Policeman injured in Burhan Wani protest dies, death toll rises to 46
- PNB Housing Finance readies Rs 2,500-crore IPO, heads to tier 2, 3 cities
- Guess which state has max urban net subscribers; Maha, Delhi tied in 2nd spot