MIM withdraws support to AP government, informs Governor
Hyderabad: Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (MIM) Saturday handed over a letter to Andhra Pradesh Governor ESL Narasimhan about withdrawal of its support to the Congress government in the state. The decision came in the wake of communal tension here over a temple abutting Charminar.
MIM chief Asaduddin Owaisi called on the governor at Raj Bhavan and handed over the letter, informing him about his party`s decision to withdraw the support to the state government.
It accused the government of allowing expansion of the temple abutting the historic Charminar in alleged violation of the court`s order to maintain status quo.
The MIM sources said though the party was not formally extending support to the government, the letter was submitted to the governor as the party had opposed the no-confidence motion moved against the government by opposition Telugu Desam Party last year.
Owaisi, who is the member of Parliament from Hyderabad, explained to the governor the circumstances which led to his party withdrawing support.
The MIM, which has seven members in 294-member assembly, Monday announced its decision to withdraw support to the Congress government in the state. Owaisi, the lone MP of the party, also withdrew support to the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government at the centre.
Owaisi said his party was compelled to take the decision due to "communal" behaviour of Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Watch: PM Modi addresses rally in Moradabad, UP - Part II
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what