MIM`s leader is the new mayor of Gr Hyderabad
Hyderabad: Mohammed Majid Hussain of the Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (MIM) is the new mayor of Greater Hyderabad.
He was unanimously elected the mayor and Rajkumar of the Congress party the deputy mayor by the Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation (GHMC) council.
The Opposition Telugu Desam Party (TDP) and Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) boycotted the council meet, demanding secret ballot.
Hyderabad District Collector and the returning officer Natrajan Gulzar announced the election of Hussain and Rajkumar. They succeeded Jaffer Hussain of the MIM and B. Kartika Reddy of the Congress respectively.
The two allied parties swapped the posts at the end of two years under the pact they reached after GHMC polls in 2009. The mayor and deputy mayor for the last one year will be decided mutually by the two parties.
MIM ignored strong contenders, including former mayor Mir Zulfiquar Ali, to pick up dark horse Majid Hussain for the top civic post. Hussain represents the Ahmednagar municipal ward.
The 216-member council comprises 150 corporators and 66 ex-officio members, including legislators and members of parliament. The Congress has 93 members in the council and they include 52 corporators, while the MIM has a strength of 53, including 43 corporators.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Kapil Sharma organises ‘wedding’ ceremony for married Harbhajan Singh, Geeta Basra?
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- WATCH: From US-made bomb making tools to Quran; here's all unearthed from ISIS secret tunnels