Mining case: IAS officer`s bail canceled
Hyderabad: The Andhra Pradesh High Court on Monday cancelled the bail of Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer Y Srilakshmi in an illegal mining case.
The court directed her to surrender before the special court for Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) cases before January 6.
The High Court order came on a petition by the CBI, challenging a special court`s December 2 order that granted bail to Srilakshmi.
The investigating agency had argued that the officer could influence the investigations. The court agreed with the CBI`s argument that it was not proper to release Srilakshmi on bail when the investigations were on and other accused in jail.
The High Court on December 16 had cancelled the bail of VD Rajagopal, the former vice chairman and managing director of the state-owned Andhra Pradesh Mineral Development Corporation (APMDC).
Rajagopal, former Karnataka minister G Janardhana Reddy and his brother-in-law BV Srinivasa Reddy are currently lodged in Chanchalguda Central Jail here in the illegal mining case.
Srilakshmi was granted bail by the CBI court on December 2, a day after she was sent to jail.
She was the family welfare commissioner at the time of her arrest by the CBI on November 28.
The federal investigative agency questioned her for three days with regard to the alleged favours shown by her in granting iron ore mining leases to Obulapuram Mining Company (OMC) owned by Janardhana Reddy.
The 1988-batch IAS officer was secretary of industries in the YS Rajasekhara Reddy government when OMC was granted leases for iron ore mining in Anantapur district.
The state government suspended her on the day when she was remanded to judicial custody.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Donald Trump takes another step back from hard-line stance on illegal immigration
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital