Mining greatest threat to tribals: Minister
Hyderabad: Terming mining as the "greatest
threat" faced by the tribal community in last two decades,
Tribal Affairs Minister Kishore Chandra Deo has asked the
youths selected under an ambitious programme to create
awareness among the forest dwellers about their constitutional
rights over the land.
"Today the greatest threat that has come to the tribals
and people living in forest areas is actually the threat of
mining," the Minister told the youths selected under the Prime
Minister`s Rural Development Fellows (PMRDF) programme.
Addressing the youths assigned to bring convergence of
development and welfare initiatives and schemes by the central
and state governments in the Naxal-hit districts of the
country here, Deo, who is also the Minister for Panchayati
Raj, noted that there are laws like Panchayats (Extension to
Scheduled Areas) Act under which only a Scheduled Tribe
members can buy or take land on lease in tribal dominated
Noting that even rights of the non-tribals who own only
two cents of land in the tribal areas for generations is
notified, he wondered, "How then are we able to give mining
leases to corporates and companies which are neither either
owned by the Scheduled Tribes or controlled by the Scheduled
Pointing out the loopholes in the laws through which the
mining companies have managed to take the land on lease in
mineral-rich forest areas, Deo told the 156 youths selected
for the fellowship that "there are rights which we will have
to make the local people aware of."
The Fellows will have a duration of 2 to 3 years to work
with the administration of 78 Left-wing extremism affected
districts in nine states including Uttar Pradesh, Maharashtra,
Andhra Pradesh, Jharkhand, Bihar, Orissa, West Bengal,
Chhattisgarh and Madhya Pradesh.
The Minister said though the Parliament passed Panchayats
(Extension to Scheduled Areas) Act was passed in 1996, only
Andhra Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh have implemented it.
The Act extended the provisions of Panchayats to the
tribal areas of seven other states including Gujarat,
Chhattisgarh, Himachal Pradesh, Jharkhand, Maharashtra, Odisha
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview