Ministers from Telangana seek permission for march
Hyderabad: Under pressure from pro-Telangana groups, Andhra Pradesh cabinet ministers from the Telangana region on Thursday met and decided to call on Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy to seek permission to take out a march on Sunday.
The decision to carve out a separate Telangana was put on hold in December 2009 following protests. On Sunday, marchers will seek to revive the momentum for the formation of Telangana state.
Minister for Panchayat Raj K Jana Reddy told reporters that they hoped a march can be held, in keeping with the aspirations of the people.
The ministers decided to meet the chief minister soon after his return to the state capital from Krishna district.
Police had earlier denied permission for the march in view of Ganesh immersion processions that will wind their way through the streets on Saturday, and the UN conference on biodiversity beginning on October 01.
However, the Telangana Joint Action Committee (JAC) is determined to violate the police ban and go ahead with the march.
Thousands of Telangana protestors are likely to gather around Hussain Sagar Lake in the heart of the city.
Eight MPs from the Congress from Telangana have decided to participate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price