Ministers from Telangana seek permission for march
Hyderabad: Under pressure from pro-Telangana groups, Andhra Pradesh cabinet ministers from the Telangana region on Thursday met and decided to call on Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy to seek permission to take out a march on Sunday.
The decision to carve out a separate Telangana was put on hold in December 2009 following protests. On Sunday, marchers will seek to revive the momentum for the formation of Telangana state.
Minister for Panchayat Raj K Jana Reddy told reporters that they hoped a march can be held, in keeping with the aspirations of the people.
The ministers decided to meet the chief minister soon after his return to the state capital from Krishna district.
Police had earlier denied permission for the march in view of Ganesh immersion processions that will wind their way through the streets on Saturday, and the UN conference on biodiversity beginning on October 01.
However, the Telangana Joint Action Committee (JAC) is determined to violate the police ban and go ahead with the march.
Thousands of Telangana protestors are likely to gather around Hussain Sagar Lake in the heart of the city.
Eight MPs from the Congress from Telangana have decided to participate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened