Ministers should `fall in line` with Cabinet decisions: AP CM
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy on Friday said every minister "has to fall in line" in respect to Cabinet decisions, but gave no sign of action against dissenting Health Minister D L Ravindra Reddy.
Ravindra opposed the Cabinet decision (on November 23) to reject the CBI plea for prosecution of Roads and Buildings Minister Dharmana Prasada Rao in the Vanpic Port land scandal. He even asked the Chief Secretary to place it in "on record".
Reacting to the issue, the chief minister cited the Supreme Court judgement in the H D Deve Gowda case that said "any minister has to fall in line or be dropped" (if he opposed any decision of the Cabinet).
"Any decision by the Cabinet is collective. One may differ during discussion but when a decision is taken, it is final," Kiran said during an informal chat with newspersons in the state Assembly premises.
Asked if a minister should quit on his own if he opposed a Cabinet decision, the CM replied in the affirmative.
But when asked if he would act against Ravindra, Kiran shot back, "What mistake has he done for me to do anything?"
In the past too, Ravindra had been critical of many decisions of the chief minister.
Meanwhile, Kiran defended the Government decision to reject the CBI`s plea for prosecution of Dharmana. "All decisions taken by Dharmana were of the (then) Cabinet (headed by late Y S Rajasekhara Reddy). Dharmana`s case is different from that of (former minister) Mopidevi Venkata Ramana.
"Mopidevi was first arrested by CBI (in the Vanpic land scandal) without the agency seeking permission from the state government. He then resigned from the Cabinet. In Dharmana`s case, the CBI sought permission," he explained.
He noted CBI itself told the court that cases related to Dharmana and Mopidevi were different.
On the resignation of his detractor Peddireddi
Ramachandra Reddy from the MLA`s post, Kiran said, "I don`t think I will go into it. It`s not necessary."
He refuted allegations that his younger brother was acting as an "extra-constitutional authority" in Chittoor district.
"My younger brother attends marriages and other functions to build relations with people in my constituency on my behalf," the chief minister said.
Questioned about reports that stake was purchased on his behalf in a television channel, Kiran replied, "I don`t need to have any such stake. If any of my friends have, I have no connection with that."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt