Mixed response to Andhra Pradesh bandh
Hyderabad: The day-long bandh in Andhra Pradesh, called by YSR Congress to protest the arrest of its leader and Kadapa MP Y S Jagan Mohan Reddy on Monday evoked a mixed response in the State, where a bus driver died in stone pelting.
Jagan, son of former Chief Minister Y S Rajasekhara Reddy, was arrested by CBI yesterday in a disproportionate assets case.
The bandh was by and large peaceful, police said, adding the State and Central Government offices, banks and business establishments functioned normally.
While there was partial response in some parts of rural areas in coastal Andhra, the bandh call had little impact in Telangana region, they said.
Hundreds of YSR Congress workers and leaders were taken into preventive custody, particularly in Rayalseema and coastal Andhra, when they tried to stage dharnas on roads, police said.
In the state capital, the shutdown call had no impact and state-owned buses plied as usual.
In neighbouring Rangareddy district, suspected supporters of YSR Congress pelted stones on two RTC buses and one private bus at Ibrahimpatnam.
According to the police, driver of the private bus died due to injuries suffered in the stone pelting.
Reports from Visakhapatnam said the bandh evoked poor response in north coastal districts.
Security was tightened in Visakhapatnam, Vizianagaram and Srikakulam districts in view of the shutdown.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How will Sonowal's govt solve problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam?
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam - Part II
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part III
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part IV
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Manipur HSLC exam result 2016: Manipur Board Class 10 result to be declared shortly, check manresult.nic.in for Manipur Class X result 2016
- Air ambulance with seven people crash lands in Delhi's Najafgarh
- Nehru, Gandhi family responsible for rising rapes in India, says Rajasthan BJP MLA Gyandev Ahuja
- Shocking video: Old woman mercilessly beaten up by her daughter in Delhi
- Chris Gayle: Melbourne Renegades refuse to renew his contract for BBL 6