MLA Shanker Rao booked for threatening, abusing cop
Hyderabad: A day after former minister and Congress MLA P Shanker Rao was picked up in connection with a land encroachment case, police on Friday booked him for allegedly "threatening and abusing" the Neredmet Station House Officer.
On a complaint lodged by Neredmet Circle Inspector P Srinivas, a case was registered against Rao under Sections 353 (assault or criminal force to deter public servant from discharge of his duty) and 506 (criminal intimidation) of IPC by the Musheerabad police.
In November 2011, a criminal case was registered against the MLA, his brother P Dayanand and three others for allegedly duping the owners of housing plots in Green Field Colony.
Police wanted to question Rao in connection with the case after the High Court lifted the stay on his arrest last year and went to his residence at Musheerabad last evening.
Police maintained that Shankar Rao "threatened and abused" the Neredmet SHO, when he, along with other policemen went to serve notice on the legislator, who is accused of forging land documents of Green Field venture at Neredmet here for "illegal" gains.
The case against Rao and others is under investigation for more than one year and it is being monitored by court, a senior police officer said today adding Rao refused to take the notice and instead intimidated the police.
In an effort to complete the investigation in the case, the Neredmet Station House Officer (SHO) proceeded to the MLA`s residence at Musheerabad last evening to serve notice in order to proceed with the investigation, Deputy Commissioner of Police V Siva Kumar (Malkajgiri Zone) told reporters.
"The SHO persuaded him (Rao) and waited for more than one hour. However, Shanker Rao shouted at the SHO saying, "I will come to power and see your end." After this, the SHO informed Rao to accompany him to Neredmet police station for examination," the DCP explained.
The former minister, who despite being offered to change his clothes, said he would come to police station like that only (TV footage showed the minister wearing a lungi) and the police personnel assisted him in getting into the vehicle, the senior police officer said.
After being taken to Neredmet police station, Assistant Commissioner of Police (Alwal Division) G Ganesh Reddy was about to examine Rao, when he complained that he was not feeling well as he had recently undergone a heart surgery, Siva Kumar said.
After this, Rao`s examination was stopped by police and he was sent to Gandhi Hospital for treatment. The doctors, who initially examined Rao advised him to undergo medical investigations, the DCP said.
Rao was later shifted to a corporate hospital in Banjara Hills, where his health check-ups and treatment were conducted today.
"It is proposed that Shanker Rao be examined after his health improves," the DCP added.
Meanwhile, the AP State Human Rights Commission called for a report from the police over picking up of Shanker Rao, after a petition was filed before it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE (cbse.nic.in ) Class X results 2015: CBSE Class 10th Board results likely to be declared tomorrow on cbseresults.nic.in