MLA Shanker Rao booked for threatening, abusing cop
Hyderabad: A day after former minister and Congress MLA P Shanker Rao was picked up in connection with a land encroachment case, police on Friday booked him for allegedly "threatening and abusing" the Neredmet Station House Officer.
On a complaint lodged by Neredmet Circle Inspector P Srinivas, a case was registered against Rao under Sections 353 (assault or criminal force to deter public servant from discharge of his duty) and 506 (criminal intimidation) of IPC by the Musheerabad police.
In November 2011, a criminal case was registered against the MLA, his brother P Dayanand and three others for allegedly duping the owners of housing plots in Green Field Colony.
Police wanted to question Rao in connection with the case after the High Court lifted the stay on his arrest last year and went to his residence at Musheerabad last evening.
Police maintained that Shankar Rao "threatened and abused" the Neredmet SHO, when he, along with other policemen went to serve notice on the legislator, who is accused of forging land documents of Green Field venture at Neredmet here for "illegal" gains.
The case against Rao and others is under investigation for more than one year and it is being monitored by court, a senior police officer said today adding Rao refused to take the notice and instead intimidated the police.
In an effort to complete the investigation in the case, the Neredmet Station House Officer (SHO) proceeded to the MLA`s residence at Musheerabad last evening to serve notice in order to proceed with the investigation, Deputy Commissioner of Police V Siva Kumar (Malkajgiri Zone) told reporters.
"The SHO persuaded him (Rao) and waited for more than one hour. However, Shanker Rao shouted at the SHO saying, "I will come to power and see your end." After this, the SHO informed Rao to accompany him to Neredmet police station for examination," the DCP explained.
The former minister, who despite being offered to change his clothes, said he would come to police station like that only (TV footage showed the minister wearing a lungi) and the police personnel assisted him in getting into the vehicle, the senior police officer said.
After being taken to Neredmet police station, Assistant Commissioner of Police (Alwal Division) G Ganesh Reddy was about to examine Rao, when he complained that he was not feeling well as he had recently undergone a heart surgery, Siva Kumar said.
After this, Rao`s examination was stopped by police and he was sent to Gandhi Hospital for treatment. The doctors, who initially examined Rao advised him to undergo medical investigations, the DCP said.
Rao was later shifted to a corporate hospital in Banjara Hills, where his health check-ups and treatment were conducted today.
"It is proposed that Shanker Rao be examined after his health improves," the DCP added.
Meanwhile, the AP State Human Rights Commission called for a report from the police over picking up of Shanker Rao, after a petition was filed before it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM