MLAs clash as Telangana bill tabled in Andhra Assembly
Zee Media Bureau/Ritesh K Srivastava
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh Legislative Assembly on Monday witnessed uproarious scenes minutes after the bill for the formation of separate Telangana state was tabled amid protests from anti-Telangana supporters.
As per reports, the assembly was adjourned as the opposition parties stalled the proceedings over the bill returned by President President Pranab Mukherjee to the assembly seeking its views.
As soon as the House met for the day, MLAs surrounded the Speaker`s podium, holding placards and shouting slogans. Amid utter pandemonium, Speaker Nadendla Manohar adjourned the house for an hour.
A scuffle was witnessed between the pro and anti-Telangana MPs outside Andhra Pradesh Assembly minutes after the Telangana Bill was tabled.
Telugu Desam Party and YSR Congress legislators tore copies of Telangana Bill in the presence of media outside Andhra Pradesh Assembly.
While Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS) wanted the speaker to immediately take up the Telangana bill for debate, main opposition Telugu Desam Party (TDP) moved an adjournment motion demanding debate on the manner in which the central and state governments are handling the issue of state`s bifurcation.
The YSR Congress Party (YSRCP) members had moved an adjournment motion, urging the Speaker to pass a resolution in the house to ask the central government to keep the state united.
Repeated appeals by the Speaker to restore order in the house fell on deaf ears, leaving no option but to adjourn the house for an hour.
The house was adjourned without any business on Friday on the same issue. The draft Andhra Pradesh Reorganisation Bill, 20,13 was sent to President Pranab Mukherjee by the Union Cabinet on Dec 5 with a request to refer it to Andhra Pradesh Assembly to seek its views under Article 3 of the Constitution. The bill reached Hyderabad on Dec 12.
The Business Advisory Committee (BAC) of the assembly is likely to meet later in the day to take a decision on when to take up the bill for debate.
Telangana legislators are demanding that the house immediately take up the bill while their counterparts from Seemandhra want special session next month.
The President has given time till Jan 23 to the Assembly to return the bill with its views. The winter session of the assembly is scheduled to end Dec 20.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried