MLA`s daughter files plaint against cops for manhandling him
Hyderabad: Even as the CID is probing the alleged rough handling of former minister and Congress MLA P Shanker Rao by police in connection with a land encroachment case, his daughter today lodged a complaint against the policemen.
Rao`s daughter Sushmita, who lodged a complaint with the Musheerabad police, alleged that Neredmet police personnel "man-handled" a senior MLA (Shanker Rao), who underwent a by-pass surgery recently, while picking him up for questioning in connection with the case on January 31.
"In the complaint, she (Rao`s daughter) has sought for initiating action against the Neredmet police personnel accusing them of ill-treating and man-handling her father," a senior police officer said adding they have not yet registered any case so far and were seeking legal opinion in this regard.
Musheerabad police on Friday last booked a criminal case against Rao, who represents Secunderabad Cantonment Assembly constituency here, for allegedly "threatening and abusing" Neredmet Station House Officer P Srinivas, when he, along with other policemen, went to serve notice on the legislator, who is accused of forging land documents of Green Field venture at Neredmet here for "illegal" gains.
In November 2011, a criminal case was registered against the MLA, his brother P Dayanand and three others for allegedly duping the owners of housing plots in Green Field Colony.
Police wanted to question Rao in connection with the case after the High Court lifted the stay on his arrest last year and went to his residence at Musheerabad on January 31.
Sushmita had earlier alleged that there was a "political vendetta" behind the police action against her father and had demanded the state government to order an inquiry by the CBI into the behaviour of the police officials who picked him up for questioning from his residence on January 31.
In wake of allegations of man-handling of a dalit MLA by police, Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy on February 1 had directed DGP V Dinesh Reddy to conduct a high-level inquiry into the entire episode.
Accordingly, the Crime Investigation Department of AP Police took up investigations.
However, Rao, who is presently undergoing treatment at a private hospital in Banjara Hills, reportedly refused to give his statement when CID officers met him yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender