MLAs from Telangana, Seemandhra regions spar over bifurcation
Hyderabad: The ongoing game of political one-upmanship in the Andhra Pradesh Legislative Assembly over the state`s bifurcation issue took an interesting turn on Tuesday, as MLAs from either side of the regional divide frenetically tried every trick in the book to outsmart and outmanoeuvre the other side.
Legislators from Telangana who were upbeat since the tabling of the draft AP Re-organisation Bill 2013 in the House on December 16, suddenly turned jittery today after Speaker Nadendla Manohar circulated a format to all members to propose "amendments" to various clauses in the Bill by January 10.
On the other hand, Seemandhra legislators who appeared to be fighting a "losing battle" until yesterday, adopted an aggressive posture and wielded new arsenal in the form of "amendments" and "vote" on the draft Bill.
The Telangana side which had rejoiced the disruption of the debate on the draft Bill in the AP Assembly and claimed that it was to Seemandhra`s disadvantage, saw red in the move to propose "amendments" and put the clauses to "vote".
"If amendments were moved and voting held thereupon, Seemandhra people could take legal recourse in the event of the Centre`s refusal to consider them. That will hamper the bifurcation process," Telangana legislators said.
This fear kept pro-Telangana members engaged today as the Assembly got repeatedly adjourned due to disruptions by MLAs representing Seemandhra.
Congressmen were closeted in a meeting with senior minister K Jana Reddy to discuss counter moves while independent legislator Nagam Janardhan Reddy, who is now close to the BJP, rallied Telangana Rashtra Samiti (TRS) and TDP MLAs from Telangana to oppose the "amendments".
After hectic deliberations, Telangana legislators cutting across party lines wrote to the Speaker opposing his decision to allow moving of "amendments" to the draft Bill as well as "voting" on various clauses.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre