Mopidevi files plea for interim bail
Hyderabad: Former Andhra Pradesh Minister Mopidevi Venkata Ramana Rao, an accused in disproportionate assets case involving YSR Congress chief Y S Jaganmohan Reddy, on Sunday filed an interim bail plea before the special CBI court here to enable him to visit Sabarimala.
Mopidevi, who is under judicial remand and lodged in Chanchalguda jail since his arrest by CBI on May 24, sought interim bail for 10-days from December 24 to January 2, stating that he was in Ayyappa Diksha and required to go to Sabarimala for darshan of Lord Ayyappa.
The petitioner submitted that he has been an ardent devotee of Lord Ayyappa and visiting Sabarimala since 1995 and requested the court to grant him an interim bail to visit Sabarimala and other religious places en route.
He said in the plea that he was ready to abide by any conditions imposed by the court and would surrender before it on his return.
The CBI had earlier alleged that Mopidevi, who was the then Minister for Infrastructure and Investments during YSR regime, approved the Cabinet memorandum containing proposals for awarding of the VANPIC project by withholding many important aspects related to it such as total extent of land decided for the project.
However, the former minister today contended that he was falsely implicated in the case and that entire processing of the files were done in routine course of business of the Ministry and he dealt with transactions in a bona-fide manner in line with approvals by the then Chief Minister (late Y S Rajasekhara Reddy) and the Cabinet.
The court posted the matter to December 13, directing CBI to file its counter by that date.
According to CBI, industrialist Nimmagadda Prasad, who is a VANPIC promoter, got nearly 24,000 acres of land sanctioned by AP government for the project as quid-pro-quo for investments made by him in Jagan`s businesses when late Y S Rajasekhara Reddy was the Chief Minister.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'