Mopidevi files plea for interim bail
Hyderabad: Former Andhra Pradesh Minister Mopidevi Venkata Ramana Rao, an accused in disproportionate assets case involving YSR Congress chief Y S Jaganmohan Reddy, on Sunday filed an interim bail plea before the special CBI court here to enable him to visit Sabarimala.
Mopidevi, who is under judicial remand and lodged in Chanchalguda jail since his arrest by CBI on May 24, sought interim bail for 10-days from December 24 to January 2, stating that he was in Ayyappa Diksha and required to go to Sabarimala for darshan of Lord Ayyappa.
The petitioner submitted that he has been an ardent devotee of Lord Ayyappa and visiting Sabarimala since 1995 and requested the court to grant him an interim bail to visit Sabarimala and other religious places en route.
He said in the plea that he was ready to abide by any conditions imposed by the court and would surrender before it on his return.
The CBI had earlier alleged that Mopidevi, who was the then Minister for Infrastructure and Investments during YSR regime, approved the Cabinet memorandum containing proposals for awarding of the VANPIC project by withholding many important aspects related to it such as total extent of land decided for the project.
However, the former minister today contended that he was falsely implicated in the case and that entire processing of the files were done in routine course of business of the Ministry and he dealt with transactions in a bona-fide manner in line with approvals by the then Chief Minister (late Y S Rajasekhara Reddy) and the Cabinet.
The court posted the matter to December 13, directing CBI to file its counter by that date.
According to CBI, industrialist Nimmagadda Prasad, who is a VANPIC promoter, got nearly 24,000 acres of land sanctioned by AP government for the project as quid-pro-quo for investments made by him in Jagan`s businesses when late Y S Rajasekhara Reddy was the Chief Minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP's tally rises to 82 after Atul Shah wins in lottery, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis hails PM Modi's clean governance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in Mumbai but BJP the big winner
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Shiv Sena set for clear majority, leading in 51 seats, BJP in 17