Most AP MLAs seek changes in draft Telangana Bill
Hyderabad: Barring Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy, Leader of Opposition N Chandrababu Naidu and APCC chief Botsa Satyanarayana, almost all members of the state Legislative Assembly on Friday proposed "amendments" running into hundreds to each clause of the draft AP Reorganisation Bill-2013.
The Seemandhra legislators proposed "deletion" of clause 1 of the draft Bill that stands for enactment of the Andhra Pradesh Reorganisation Act, in effect seeking to keep the state united.
The Telangana side, however, termed them as "views/suggestions", while the Seemandhra side specified the "amendments" in the format prescribed by Speaker Nadendla Manohar, "reflecting the mood of people" on either side of the regional divide.
The Assembly, which is currently debating the draft Bill referred to it by the President of India, was today adjourned till January 17 for Sankranti vacation.
The Telangana MLAs, on the other hand, predominantly opposed the clause 8 that seeks to vest decisive powers with the "common Governor" and clause 5 (1) that makes Hyderabad the "common capital" for a period not exceeding ten years.
The Telangana Congress suggested that Hyderabad may be made the common capital temporarily for a period not exceeding ten years or till completion of the new capital for residuary state, whichever is earlier.
The Telangana Rashtra Samiti wanted Hyderabad as common capital only for a period of three years. The Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen totally opposed the common capital, as also the common High Court and common Governor provisions in the draft Bill.
The Telangana side also suggested that clause 8 be either deleted or, in the alternative, changed to "provided that the Governor shall, in the discharge of his functions, be guided by the aid and advice of Council of Ministers of the state of Telangana as per regular constitutional scheme."
The draft Bill suggests that the Governor could exercise his individual judgement in discharge of his functions after consulting the Council of Ministers.
The Telangana side has been totally opposing this provision saying it would be nothing but Governor`s rule.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?