Naidu demands compensation for Srikakulam firing victims
Hyderabad: TDP chief N Chandrababu Naidu
today demanded that the Andhra Pradesh government pay a
compensation of Rs 10 lakh each to the families of two persons
killed and Rs 5 lakh each to those injured in police firing at
Kakarapalli village in Srikakulam district.
He also demanded that the police force deployed in
Kakarapalli and surrounding villages be withdrawn immediately.
The TDP chief visited Vattithandra and Kakarapalli
villages where people have been protesting against the setting
up of a thermal power plant. The villagers` protests turned
violent over the last week leading to police firing two days
ago killing two persons and injuring five others.
Naidu consoled the families of the firing victims.
Extending the TDP`s full support to the villagers`
struggle against the thermal power plant, which the Union
Ministry of Environment and Forests has since asked to stop,
he sought a judicial inquiry by a sitting judge into the
"We will fight till the thermal plant is totally
stopped here," he assured the villagers.
"Is there a government in the state," the Leader of
Though the TDP and other Opposition parties tried to
raise the Kakarapalli issue in the state Assembly, the
government deliberately got the House adjourned, he said.
"The government should establish who the real people
behind this controversial power plant were," he said.
However, former Union minister K Yerran Naidu and his
younger brother Atchannaidu, who hail from Srikakulam
district, faced the villagers` ire when they accompanied Naidu
to console the police firing victims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town