Naidu demands compensation for Srikakulam firing victims
Hyderabad: TDP chief N Chandrababu Naidu on Wednesday demanded that the state government pay a compensation of
Rs 10 lakh each to the families of two persons killed and Rs 5
lakh each to those injured in police firing at Kakarapalli
village in Srikakulam district.
He also demanded that the police force deployed in
Kakarapalli and surrounding villages be withdrawn immediately.
The TDP chief visited Vattithandra and Kakarapalli
villages where people have been protesting against the setting
up of a thermal power plant. The villagers` protests turned
violent over the last week leading to police firing two days
ago killing two persons and injuring five others.
Naidu consoled the families of the firing victims.
Extending the TDP`s full support to the villagers`
struggle against the thermal power plant, which the Union
Ministry of Environment and Forests has since asked to stop,
he sought a judicial inquiry by a sitting judge into the
"We will fight till the thermal plant is totally stopped
here," he assured the villagers.
"Is there a government in the state," the Leader of
Though the TDP and other opposition parties tried to
raise the Kakarapalli issue in the state Assembly, the
government deliberately got the House adjourned, he said.
Naidu blamed former Chief Minister Y S Rajasekhara Reddy
for permitting the establishment of the thermal power plant on
"The government should establish who the real people
behind this controversial power plant were," he said.
However, former Union Minister K Yerran Naidu and his
younger brother Atchannaidu, who hail from Srikakulam
district, faced the villagers` ire when they accompanied Naidu
to console the police firing victims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video