Naidu held while demanding reimbursement of fee for students
Hyderabad: Telugu Desam Party president and former Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu was taken into custody by the Cyberabad police ON Tuesday afternoon as he led a road blockade at LB Nagar here demanding reimbursement of tuition fee in full for students of the backward classes in professional courses.
The Telugu Nadu Students Federation, the student wing of TDP, organised the protest against the dilution of the fee reimbursement scheme.
The TDP chief, who took part in the programme, slammed the Congress government for diluting the scheme and depriving students belonging to backward classes of higher professional education.
"This government lacks sincerity...It doesn`t want BC students to pursue higher professional education," the Leader of Opposition alleged.
Chandrababu and the TNSF workers were taken into custody and led to Vanasthalipuram police station. They were later set free.
Notably, the Kiran Kumar Reddy government had decided to restrict the fee reimbursement to only those students who secured less than 10,000 rank in the Engineering Common Entrance Test after it lost a case in High Court over fixing a uniform fee structure in engineering colleges. The government did not get any immediate relief even in Supreme Court.
Fearing a backlash, the government clarified that the problem related to only 85 colleges and all students in the rest 602 private engineering colleges would be reimbursed the fee in full (Rs 35,000) under the convenor quota.
The opposition parties have, however, been demanding that the government reimburse the fee in toto without any restrictions.
Chief Minister Kiran Kumar Reddy announced that the government would take a final call based on the outcome of the case, pending disposal in Supreme Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security