Naidu`s `day dreaming` remark evokes protests in Telangana
Hyderabad: Activists of the Telangana Rashtra Samiti (TRS) were staging protests across Telangana on Friday, demanding an apology from former chief minister N Chandrababu Naidu for his remark that TRS chief K Chandrasekhara Rao was "day-dreaming".
Naidu, chief of the Telugu Desam Party (TDP), remarked on Thursday that Chandrasekhara Rao was "day-dreaming" about wielding power -- apparently in a separate Telangana state.
The comment angered the TRS which is spearheading the renewed struggle for statehood to Telangana region.
Condemning Naidu`s remark, TRS activists took to streets in various towns, burning his effigies and demanding an unconditional apology to the TRS chief and people of Telangana.
Though the former chief minister clarified that KCR, as the TRS president is popularly called by his initials, is "day dreaming" of coming to power, the TRS alleged that he was referring to the movement for formation of separate Telangana state.
Reacting swiftly, KCR termed the TDP as the biggest hurdle in formation of the separate Telangana. "But even 300 Naidus can`t stop formation of Telangana," he told his party cadres at a meeting.
Continuing his attack for the second day, Naidu said KCR`s meeting with some industrialists on Wednesday was for "settlement".
Addressing TDP leaders from Telangana through tele-conference Friday, Naidu clarified his remarks were not against Telangana.
He questioned KCR`s meeting with chief executive officers (CEOs) of some firms and giving all sorts of assurances to them.
At the meeting with CEOs, KCR claimed that the new state (Telangana) would soon become a reality with Hyderabad as its capital and promised all support to industrialists and investors.
Naidu`s remark is likely to further intensify the TRS` campaign against the TDP. Naidu faced violent protests from Telangana activists recently during his visit to Ranga Reddy and Mahbubnagar districts.
The TRS has vowed not to allow Naidu, who hails from Rayalaseema region, to visit Telangana on the ground that he was opposed to formation of a separate state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest