Naidu`s padayatra only to gain political mileage
Hyderabad: The `padayatra` undertaken by TDP
chief N Chandrababu Naidu to highlight farmers` problems was
only aimed at gaining political mileage, Congress leaders
alleged here on Thursday.
"Naidu began his `padayatra` in Anantapur district
yesterday. We thought he would make constructive suggestions
to the government on mitigating the sufferings of farmers.
But, Naidu`s only aim appeared to be gaining political
mileage," Anantapur Lok Sabha member A Venkatarama Reddy and
several other Congress legislators told reporters here.
Alleging that Naidu had totally neglected agriculture
during his nine-year long tenure as Chief Minister, Reddy
claimed that the TDP chief was trying to win over the farmers
now by highlighting their problems.
"Naidu had earlier described agriculture as an
unproductive and wasteful profession. He had said free power
for farmers was never possible," Reddy said.
The Congress government in Andhra Pradesh has been
providing free power to farmers since it came to power in 2004
and implemented various other major benefits like loan waiver,
increase in the Minimum Support Price (MSP) for farmers, he
"The Kiran Kumar Reddy government has now decided to
provide interest-free loans to farmers. We have represented
the drought in Anantapur district to state government and it
has agreed to provide input subsidy to the tune of Rs 255
crore among several other measures," he said.
Asked why the Congress leaders were not so vocal in
condemning the criticism made by Kadapa MP Y S Jagan Mohan
Reddy against the state government, the MP said they responded
in equal measure over the criticism against the government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi