Name new state as `Sonia Telangana`: Ex-Andhra minister
New Delhi: In a queer demand, a former Andhra Pradesh minister on Thursday suggested the Centre to name the new state carved out of Andhra Pradesh as `Sonia Telangana`.
"I am putting forth this demand, as she has prevented more individuals from the region committing suicide for Telangana cause," P Shankar Rao, who claims to be a founder member of Congress (I), said.
"Over a thousand people have committed suicide till the announcement on creation of Telangana was made. However, there were no suicides reported in the last 70 days," he added.
Terming Sonia as `Telangana Talli` (Mother of Telangana), Rao said he is installing a statue in Hyderabad by December which would resemble the face of the AICC chief.
He has also met the GoM looking into bifurcation of Andhra Pradesh here.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani