Name new state as `Sonia Telangana`: Ex-Andhra minister
New Delhi: In a queer demand, a former Andhra Pradesh minister on Thursday suggested the Centre to name the new state carved out of Andhra Pradesh as `Sonia Telangana`.
"I am putting forth this demand, as she has prevented more individuals from the region committing suicide for Telangana cause," P Shankar Rao, who claims to be a founder member of Congress (I), said.
"Over a thousand people have committed suicide till the announcement on creation of Telangana was made. However, there were no suicides reported in the last 70 days," he added.
Terming Sonia as `Telangana Talli` (Mother of Telangana), Rao said he is installing a statue in Hyderabad by December which would resemble the face of the AICC chief.
He has also met the GoM looking into bifurcation of Andhra Pradesh here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof