Name new state as `Sonia Telangana`: Ex-Andhra minister
New Delhi: In a queer demand, a former Andhra Pradesh minister on Thursday suggested the Centre to name the new state carved out of Andhra Pradesh as `Sonia Telangana`.
"I am putting forth this demand, as she has prevented more individuals from the region committing suicide for Telangana cause," P Shankar Rao, who claims to be a founder member of Congress (I), said.
"Over a thousand people have committed suicide till the announcement on creation of Telangana was made. However, there were no suicides reported in the last 70 days," he added.
Terming Sonia as `Telangana Talli` (Mother of Telangana), Rao said he is installing a statue in Hyderabad by December which would resemble the face of the AICC chief.
He has also met the GoM looking into bifurcation of Andhra Pradesh here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Jallikattu protests continue in Tamil Nadu, sea of protesters camp on Marina beach