Natives remember Satya Sai Baba for philanthropy
Rajahmundry (AP): The demise of Satya Sai
Baba came as a deep shock for those are engaged in various
social programmes launched by the godman through his trust in
Prominent among the programmes started by the Sathya Sai
Central Trust is Sri Satya Village Integrated Programme
(SSVIP) under which 212 villages in East Godavari district
were provided drinking water in a phased manner.
Another programme, the Sri Sathya Sai Drinking Water
Project (SSSDWP), launched on January 20, 2008, covers 25
tribal-dominated villages in East and West Godavari districts,
an official of the project said on Sunday.
"We are not in a position to accept the news of his
(Satya Sai Baba) demise. We expected some miracle to happen
and he will return and give darshan to his devotees," he said.
Following his deep attachment with this area, the
spiritual leader had visited East Godavari for the maximum
number of times than any other place, the official said,
adding that members who are carrying out these social welfare
programmes and the beneficiaries of these schemes were deeply
affected by Saibaba`s death today.
Under SSSDWSP, safe drinking water is supplied to about
452 upland and tribal habitations which traditionally are
dependent upon drying bore wells and natural streams for
water, he said.
As per the Trust, nearly 212 habitations with population
of more than 2.20 lakh have benefited from the project in the
East Godavari district.
Under the programme, a plant with capacity of 10.5
million litres of water per day (MLD), installed on river
Godavari at Purushottapatnam village, pumps out clear water
into a ground-level balancing reservoir from where it is
supplied to the villages, a release issued by the Trust said.
Another plant on river Pamuleru in Kutravada village,
pumps water into a treatment plant of 3.5 MLD capacity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre