Naxal involved in 2009 Lahiri police ambush surren
Kothagudem: A top Maoist leader who operated in
Gadchiroli district of Maharashtra and was allegedly involved in several attacks including the ambush at Lahiri in 2009 in which 15 police personnel were killed, surrendered before Khammam District Police on Monday.
Four other Maoists and 10 `milita` members too surrendered.
Bandarapu Mallaiah alias Chandranna, South Gadchiroli Divisional Committee Secretary of Maoists who carried a Rs 5 lakh reward on his head, surrendered with others before Superintendent of Police P Harikumar here.
Chandranna and his wife Gadegoni Balavva alias Vijaya belong to Karimnagar district of Andhra Pradesh. Chandranna, wanted by Maharashtra, Chhattisgarh and Andhra Pradesh police, came in contact with ultras in 1981, and started working as full-time member from 1988, Kothagudem ASP Bhaskar Bhushan told PTI. Since 2003 he was working in Gadchiroli.
He is accused of involvement in attack on Manthini Mutharam police station in 1991, death of five BSF personnel in the ambush at Gajulapalli in 1992, the attack on Asarepalli police station of Maharashtra in 2002 and the Lahiri ambush.
His wife Vijaya, who became dalam member in 1993, too was working in Gadchiroli since 2003.
Other three, Vagaboina Ramana alias Rajitha, Goggela Ramesh and Pusam Raju, were allegedly involved murders and shoot-outs. The ten others, Bhoomkal militia members of Venktapuram, Cherla and Dummugudem areas, allegedly helped Maoists create road blocks by felling trees, tied banners and pasted posters, etc, Bhushan added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India