Naxal involved in 2009 Lahiri police ambush surren
Kothagudem: A top Maoist leader who operated in
Gadchiroli district of Maharashtra and was allegedly involved in several attacks including the ambush at Lahiri in 2009 in which 15 police personnel were killed, surrendered before Khammam District Police on Monday.
Four other Maoists and 10 `milita` members too surrendered.
Bandarapu Mallaiah alias Chandranna, South Gadchiroli Divisional Committee Secretary of Maoists who carried a Rs 5 lakh reward on his head, surrendered with others before Superintendent of Police P Harikumar here.
Chandranna and his wife Gadegoni Balavva alias Vijaya belong to Karimnagar district of Andhra Pradesh. Chandranna, wanted by Maharashtra, Chhattisgarh and Andhra Pradesh police, came in contact with ultras in 1981, and started working as full-time member from 1988, Kothagudem ASP Bhaskar Bhushan told PTI. Since 2003 he was working in Gadchiroli.
He is accused of involvement in attack on Manthini Mutharam police station in 1991, death of five BSF personnel in the ambush at Gajulapalli in 1992, the attack on Asarepalli police station of Maharashtra in 2002 and the Lahiri ambush.
His wife Vijaya, who became dalam member in 1993, too was working in Gadchiroli since 2003.
Other three, Vagaboina Ramana alias Rajitha, Goggela Ramesh and Pusam Raju, were allegedly involved murders and shoot-outs. The ten others, Bhoomkal militia members of Venktapuram, Cherla and Dummugudem areas, allegedly helped Maoists create road blocks by felling trees, tied banners and pasted posters, etc, Bhushan added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!