Naxalite killed in police encounter in Warangal dist
Hyderabad: A Naxal team commander of
CPI-ML New Democracy group was shot dead in an alleged
encounter with police in a forest area in Warangal district of
Andhra Pradesh today.
S Ramarao alias Ganesh, the Naxal team commander, was
involved in several extortion and murder cases in Warangal
district, according to police.
Police had to open fire in the air to quell a mob of
angry villagers that pelted stones at them in protest against
the killing of Ramarao in what they called a "fake encounter."
Ramarao hailed from Gujudu village under Kothaguda
mandal in the district. Tension prevailed in Gujudu village as
police prevented the villagers from going near Ramarao?s body.
A senior police official later said the situation was
brought under control even as the slain Naxal?s body was
removed for post-mortem in a nearby government hospital.
An exchange of fire broke out between the police party
and alleged Naxalites, when the former was conducting a
combing operation in the area in view of bandh call given by
Maoists to protest the killing of CPI (Maoist) Central
Committee spokesperson Azad in an encounter in Adilabad
district of Andhra Pradesh on July 2.
Narsampet Deputy Superintendent of Police said Naxals
opened fire on seeing the police party forcing the latter to
retaliate in self-defence. Despite warnings for surrender, the
Naxalites continued to fire at the police leading to an
exchange of fire for over eight minutes.
After this, the police found a body that was later
identified as that of Ramarao, the DSP added. "About eight to
nine more Naxals managed to escape from the scene into the
nearby forest during the exchange of fire," he said.
Police recovered one self-loading rifle (SLR), two
kit-bags and other material from the encounter site.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Tata Sons removes Cyrus Mistry as Chairman; Ratan Tata interim boss for 4 months