NBW against Akbaruddin for not appearing in court
Hyderabad: A local court on Tuesday issued a non-bailable warrant against MIM legislator Akbaruddin Owaisi after he failed to appear before it in a hate speech case lodged against him at Nirmal in Adilabad district.
Second Metropolitan Magistrate Durgaprasad dismissed the petition filed by Akbaruddin`s counsel seeking to dispense with his personal attendance and issued the NBW.
"Many opportunities were given to Akbaruddin asking him to personally appear before the court. However, as he did not appear, the magistrate issued the NBW. Now the police have to execute the same," a public prosecutor said.
A petition was filed earlier in the court by an advocate for the "hate" speech allegedly delivered by the Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen leader in Nirmal town.
Police had booked cases in Nirmal in Adilabad and Nizamabad districts against the legislator after he allegedly used inflammatory and derogatory language against a community during his public speeches in December last year.
The MIM leader also faces charges of sedition and waging war against the nation among others, under relevant sections of Indian Penal Code.
Subsequently, multiple cases were lodged against Akbaruddin following court directives across Andhra Pradesh.
42-year-old Akbaruddin, the MIM`s floor leader in the Andhra Pradesh Assembly, is a legislator from Chandrayanagutta constituency here. He was arrested by the Nirmal police from Gandhi Hospital in Hyderabad on January 8 and was released on bail on February 15.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday