NDA will not partner with parties opposed to Telangana: Swaraj
Warangal: Affirming BJP`s strong support to the demand for statehood to Telangana, senior party leader Sushma Swaraj on Saturday said the NDA would not partner with any party opposed to the cause.
Swaraj was speaking at a public meeting at Hanamkonda here as part of the BJP`s campaign for Parkal Assembly by-poll on June 12 in Andhra Pradesh`s Telangana region.
Hitting out at TRS, the Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha accused the sub-regional party of deceiving the people of Telangana by aligning with parties like Congress and TDP on different occasions.
Parties like TRS, with two MPs in Parliament, cannot achieve separate statehood, she said, adding it is possible only with the national party like BJP which is committed to the cause.
TRS should explain to the people how it can achieve separate statehood without support of a national party like BJP, Swaraj said.
"The UPA government went back on its word to create separate Telangana though it announced on December 9, 2009 that it would take steps for formation of the separate state," she said.
Swaraj thanked the people of Mahabubnagar for electing the BJP candidate in a by-poll held in March.
Having won Mahabubnagar bye-election, the BJP is now trying to expand its presence in Telangana by winning the Parkal bypoll.
Swaraj, who had strongly spoken in favour of separate Telangana in Parliament, is the BJP`s star campaigner in the region.
The Parakal bypoll is necessitated as the sitting Congress MLA was disqualified by Assembly Speaker for switching loyalty to Kadapa MP Y S Jagan Mohan Reddy and voting against the Congress government during a floor test in December.
By-elections to 18 Assembly constituencies including Parakal, and one Lok Sabha seat will be held on June 12 in Andhra Pradesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Tata Sons removes Cyrus Mistry as Chairman; Ratan Tata interim boss for 4 months