NDA will not partner with parties opposed to Telangana: Swaraj
Warangal: Affirming BJP`s strong support to the demand for statehood to Telangana, senior party leader Sushma Swaraj on Saturday said the NDA would not partner with any party opposed to the cause.
Swaraj was speaking at a public meeting at Hanamkonda here as part of the BJP`s campaign for Parkal Assembly by-poll on June 12 in Andhra Pradesh`s Telangana region.
Hitting out at TRS, the Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha accused the sub-regional party of deceiving the people of Telangana by aligning with parties like Congress and TDP on different occasions.
Parties like TRS, with two MPs in Parliament, cannot achieve separate statehood, she said, adding it is possible only with the national party like BJP which is committed to the cause.
TRS should explain to the people how it can achieve separate statehood without support of a national party like BJP, Swaraj said.
"The UPA government went back on its word to create separate Telangana though it announced on December 9, 2009 that it would take steps for formation of the separate state," she said.
Swaraj thanked the people of Mahabubnagar for electing the BJP candidate in a by-poll held in March.
Having won Mahabubnagar bye-election, the BJP is now trying to expand its presence in Telangana by winning the Parkal bypoll.
Swaraj, who had strongly spoken in favour of separate Telangana in Parliament, is the BJP`s star campaigner in the region.
The Parakal bypoll is necessitated as the sitting Congress MLA was disqualified by Assembly Speaker for switching loyalty to Kadapa MP Y S Jagan Mohan Reddy and voting against the Congress government during a floor test in December.
By-elections to 18 Assembly constituencies including Parakal, and one Lok Sabha seat will be held on June 12 in Andhra Pradesh.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know