Need patience over Telangana: Govt
New Delhi: Even as key UPA ally NCP raised pitch for separate Telangana, the government on Thursday counselled patience over the issue, saying it was being addressed.
"The issue is being addressed. We need to be patient. We need to be engaged and need forbearance," Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari said at a press conference here.
He was responding when asked to comment on NCP leader Sharad Pawar raising the pitch for separate Telangana and telling Prime Minister Manmohan Singh that delay would not be helpful.
Tewari said the views of Pawar, who is a senior colleague, are taken seriously but "we need patience".
The NCP chief today said he raised the issue with the Prime Minister, becoming the first UPA-constituent to openly come out in support of an early decision on Telangana.
He said he was expecting a meeting of the UPA soon.
His statement came amidst threat by Congress MPs from Telangana to send their resignations to Speaker Meira Kumar if urgent steps are not taken for formation of a separate state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH