Need patience over Telangana: Govt
New Delhi: Even as key UPA ally NCP raised pitch for separate Telangana, the government on Thursday counselled patience over the issue, saying it was being addressed.
"The issue is being addressed. We need to be patient. We need to be engaged and need forbearance," Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari said at a press conference here.
He was responding when asked to comment on NCP leader Sharad Pawar raising the pitch for separate Telangana and telling Prime Minister Manmohan Singh that delay would not be helpful.
Tewari said the views of Pawar, who is a senior colleague, are taken seriously but "we need patience".
The NCP chief today said he raised the issue with the Prime Minister, becoming the first UPA-constituent to openly come out in support of an early decision on Telangana.
He said he was expecting a meeting of the UPA soon.
His statement came amidst threat by Congress MPs from Telangana to send their resignations to Speaker Meira Kumar if urgent steps are not taken for formation of a separate state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'