Need patience over Telangana: Govt
New Delhi: Even as key UPA ally NCP raised pitch for separate Telangana, the government on Thursday counselled patience over the issue, saying it was being addressed.
"The issue is being addressed. We need to be patient. We need to be engaged and need forbearance," Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari said at a press conference here.
He was responding when asked to comment on NCP leader Sharad Pawar raising the pitch for separate Telangana and telling Prime Minister Manmohan Singh that delay would not be helpful.
Tewari said the views of Pawar, who is a senior colleague, are taken seriously but "we need patience".
The NCP chief today said he raised the issue with the Prime Minister, becoming the first UPA-constituent to openly come out in support of an early decision on Telangana.
He said he was expecting a meeting of the UPA soon.
His statement came amidst threat by Congress MPs from Telangana to send their resignations to Speaker Meira Kumar if urgent steps are not taken for formation of a separate state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31