New Andhra Pradesh capital to come up in Vijayawada region
Hyderabad: Chief Minister Chandrababu Naidu on Thursday disclosed that the new capital of Andhra Pradesh will come up in Vijayawada region.
The announcement was made by CM Naidu in the state Legislative Assembly.
He told the Assembly that the government has decided to "locate the capital at central place of the state around Vijayawada".
Andhra Pradesh #capital to be centrally located around Vijayawada. Will do justice to every city through decentralised development.
— N Chandrababu Naidu (@ncbn) September 4, 2014
Naidu said the decision was taken in the state Cabinet meeting on September 1.
The announcement was expected earlier this week but was delayed, as per sources, due to astrological reasons.
Land prices had already soared in the stretch between Guntur and Vijayawada towns in anticipation of the announcement.
However, opposition parties are not happy with the choice and will protest against the development.
Telangana was carved out of Andhra Pradesh in June and the present state capital Hyderabad will be shared between the two states for 10 years. Post that period, Telangana will have claim over the IT city.
Naidu has said that he will create a new capital and model it on the lines of Singapore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai