NHRC seeks report from Andhra over child deaths in
New Delhi: Alarmed at the death of nearly 700 children in an Andhra Pradesh hospital in past seven months, the NHRC has sought a report from the state government on alleged shortage of staff and infrastructure there.
Taking cognisance of the reports that 691 children have died due to alleged lack of infrastructure and shortage of staff in SVR Ruia Government General hospital in Tirupati, the rights body has asked the Andhra Pradesh Chief Secretary to file its reply within six weeks, an NHRC statement said.
The hospital caters to the poor families from nearby rural areas.
Terming it as an violation of `Rights of the Children`, the National Human Rights Commission said if the report is true then it is a serious issue.
According to reports, there are only 12 doctors against the required strength of 30 in the hospital`s pediatrics department.
"All the doctors work at S V Medical College attached to Ruia hospital and a majority of them are entrusted with the additional responsibilities including, among others, inspection of private medical colleges and invigilation at exams," the statement said.
It has further been alleged that there is also shortage of nurses and other technicians at the hospital.
Not less than 200 children are admitted in the hospital at any given time. 75 per cent of these children suffer from serious ailments and with only 90 beds, two or three children are forced to share one bed, the panel said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH