NHRC seeks report from Andhra over child deaths in
New Delhi: Alarmed at the death of nearly 700 children in an Andhra Pradesh hospital in past seven months, the NHRC has sought a report from the state government on alleged shortage of staff and infrastructure there.
Taking cognisance of the reports that 691 children have died due to alleged lack of infrastructure and shortage of staff in SVR Ruia Government General hospital in Tirupati, the rights body has asked the Andhra Pradesh Chief Secretary to file its reply within six weeks, an NHRC statement said.
The hospital caters to the poor families from nearby rural areas.
Terming it as an violation of `Rights of the Children`, the National Human Rights Commission said if the report is true then it is a serious issue.
According to reports, there are only 12 doctors against the required strength of 30 in the hospital`s pediatrics department.
"All the doctors work at S V Medical College attached to Ruia hospital and a majority of them are entrusted with the additional responsibilities including, among others, inspection of private medical colleges and invigilation at exams," the statement said.
It has further been alleged that there is also shortage of nurses and other technicians at the hospital.
Not less than 200 children are admitted in the hospital at any given time. 75 per cent of these children suffer from serious ailments and with only 90 beds, two or three children are forced to share one bed, the panel said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof