NIA team visits Mecca Masjid blast site
Hyderabad: After taking over the probe into
the suspected role of right-wing groups in terror acts across
the country, a team of the National Investigation Agency (NIA)
on Wednesday visited the Mecca Masjid where a bomb blast in 2007 had
claimed nine lives.
The team led by NIA chief SC Sinha, Deputy Inspector
General A Ravi Shankar (who heads NIA`s field office here) and
other senior officials visited the Masjid, a senior NIA
"In the backdrop of NIA taking over different
terror-related cases, we today visited the scene of offence
and assessed the Masjid blast incident. We also had
discussions with Investigating officials of Hyderabad City
Police and Task Force officials who had initially probed the
incident," the NIA official said.
A cell phone-controlled pipe bomb went off at Mecca
Masjid during the Friday prayers on May 18, 2007, killing nine
The CBI, which registered a case in June 2007, has so far
named six persons, all allegedly having links with a
right-wing Hindu outfit. It filed charge-sheet against two
accused, Devendra Gupta and Lokesh Sharma, last year.
The prime accused in the case, namely, Sandeep Dange and
Ramchandra Kalsangra alias Ramji, are still absconding.
Another accused, Swami Asimanand was held in November last
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says