NIA team visits Mecca Masjid blast site
Hyderabad: After taking over the probe into
the suspected role of right-wing groups in terror acts across
the country, a team of the National Investigation Agency (NIA)
on Wednesday visited the Mecca Masjid where a bomb blast in 2007 had
claimed nine lives.
The team led by NIA chief SC Sinha, Deputy Inspector
General A Ravi Shankar (who heads NIA`s field office here) and
other senior officials visited the Masjid, a senior NIA
"In the backdrop of NIA taking over different
terror-related cases, we today visited the scene of offence
and assessed the Masjid blast incident. We also had
discussions with Investigating officials of Hyderabad City
Police and Task Force officials who had initially probed the
incident," the NIA official said.
A cell phone-controlled pipe bomb went off at Mecca
Masjid during the Friday prayers on May 18, 2007, killing nine
The CBI, which registered a case in June 2007, has so far
named six persons, all allegedly having links with a
right-wing Hindu outfit. It filed charge-sheet against two
accused, Devendra Gupta and Lokesh Sharma, last year.
The prime accused in the case, namely, Sandeep Dange and
Ramchandra Kalsangra alias Ramji, are still absconding.
Another accused, Swami Asimanand was held in November last
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!