NIA team visits Mecca Masjid blast site
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Thursday, April 21, 2011, 00:19
  
Hyderabad: After taking over the probe into the suspected role of right-wing groups in terror acts across the country, a team of the National Investigation Agency (NIA) on Wednesday visited the Mecca Masjid where a bomb blast in 2007 had claimed nine lives.

The team led by NIA chief SC Sinha, Deputy Inspector General A Ravi Shankar (who heads NIA's field office here) and other senior officials visited the Masjid, a senior NIA official said.

"In the backdrop of NIA taking over different terror-related cases, we today visited the scene of offence and assessed the Masjid blast incident. We also had discussions with Investigating officials of Hyderabad City Police and Task Force officials who had initially probed the incident," the NIA official said.

A cell phone-controlled pipe bomb went off at Mecca Masjid during the Friday prayers on May 18, 2007, killing nine people.

The CBI, which registered a case in June 2007, has so far named six persons, all allegedly having links with a right-wing Hindu outfit. It filed charge-sheet against two accused, Devendra Gupta and Lokesh Sharma, last year.

The prime accused in the case, namely, Sandeep Dange and Ramchandra Kalsangra alias Ramji, are still absconding. Another accused, Swami Asimanand was held in November last year.

PTI


First Published: Thursday, April 21, 2011, 00:19


comments powered by Disqus