Nine Cong MPs from Telangana region to resign
New Delhi: Ratcheting up pressure on the
Centre, nine Congress MPs from Telangana region will tender
their resignation to Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar and Rajya
Sabha Chairman Hamid Ansari in protest against the delay in
the formation of a separate state.
The MPs, including senior Congress leader K Keshav
Rao, will be putting in their papers on Monday in line with a
decision taken by at a meeting of party lawmakers from the
region in Hyderabad yesterday.
"Due to delay in the process of formation of a
Telangana state, the people of the region are in a state of
deep anguish," the MPs said in a statement here today.
They said despite the Centre`s statement on December
9, 2009 that steps would be initiated to form a separate
Telangana state, the process was stalled by lawmakers from
Rayalaseema and coastal Andhra regions in the state.
"In the last Budget session of Parliament, we have
expressed our strong resentment in several ways to abide by
the decision made on 9 th December 2009," they said.
Noting that they have been waiting for nearly two
years now, the MPs said as there was no serious consideration
from the core committee till yesterday, it is "inevitable for
us to go by the people`s decision."
"The people of Telangana strongly believe that the
resignations, is the only way for achieving the dream of a
separate state," the MPs said in the statement.
"Therefore, to make an impact over the high Command
and to achieve the goal of statehood, we are submitting our
resignations to the Hon`ble Chairman of Rajya Sabha and
Speaker of Lok Sabha on Monday," they said.
Others who will resign along with Rao are Ponnam
Prabhakar, G Sukhender Reddy, Dr M Jagannadham, S Rajaiah, Dr
G Vivekanand, P Balram Naik, Madhu Yaskhi Goud and K Rajgopal
The MPs have already met Prime Minister Manmohan
Singh, Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee and Home Minister P
Chidambaram and had threatened to resign if the Centre did not
take a decision on the contentious statehood demand at the
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani