Nine dead, crops damaged as unseasonal heavy rains lash Andhra Pradesh
Hyderabad: At least nine people were killed in rain-related incidents across Andhra Pradesh in the last two days, authorities said on Saturday.
The unseasonal rains also damaged agricultural and horticultural crops in various districts of the state.
"Nine people died in rain-related incidents in the last 48 hours," Revenue (disaster management) department said in a statement here.
While six persons were killed due to thunderbolt, two persons died in a house collapse whereas a fisherman died when his boat capsized.
"Two persons died when a house collapsed in Mahbubnagar district whereas six persons due to lightening across Prakasam, Srikakulam and Warangal districts," the statement said, adding that a fisherman died in Prakasam district.
The statement further said, "Out of total 1128 Mandals in the state, 35 Mandals received very heavy rainfall, 146 Mandals heavy rainfall and 158 Mandals received `rather heavy` rainfall".
The rainfall was modest across 280 Mandals, the statement said.
"Agriculture crops in nearly 10,000 hectares were damaged in 10 districts, while Horticulture crops in 35910 hectares were affected in 12 districts," it said.
As per the information given by the Civil Supply Department, due to unseasonal very heavy rains, about 1200 tonnes of paddy has became wet at the paddy purchase centres.
"However, the paddy is of boiled variety and normally water will be added before processing (it) in boiled mills. So the paddy is being moved to the boiled mills by the district administration," the statement informed.
The department predicted "heavy to very heavy rains" at isolated places in districts of Srikakulam, Vizianagaram, Visakhapatnam and East Godavari in the coastal region, the statement added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead