Nine dead, crops damaged as unseasonal heavy rains lash Andhra Pradesh
Hyderabad: At least nine people were killed in rain-related incidents across Andhra Pradesh in the last two days, authorities said on Saturday.
The unseasonal rains also damaged agricultural and horticultural crops in various districts of the state.
"Nine people died in rain-related incidents in the last 48 hours," Revenue (disaster management) department said in a statement here.
While six persons were killed due to thunderbolt, two persons died in a house collapse whereas a fisherman died when his boat capsized.
"Two persons died when a house collapsed in Mahbubnagar district whereas six persons due to lightening across Prakasam, Srikakulam and Warangal districts," the statement said, adding that a fisherman died in Prakasam district.
The statement further said, "Out of total 1128 Mandals in the state, 35 Mandals received very heavy rainfall, 146 Mandals heavy rainfall and 158 Mandals received `rather heavy` rainfall".
The rainfall was modest across 280 Mandals, the statement said.
"Agriculture crops in nearly 10,000 hectares were damaged in 10 districts, while Horticulture crops in 35910 hectares were affected in 12 districts," it said.
As per the information given by the Civil Supply Department, due to unseasonal very heavy rains, about 1200 tonnes of paddy has became wet at the paddy purchase centres.
"However, the paddy is of boiled variety and normally water will be added before processing (it) in boiled mills. So the paddy is being moved to the boiled mills by the district administration," the statement informed.
The department predicted "heavy to very heavy rains" at isolated places in districts of Srikakulam, Vizianagaram, Visakhapatnam and East Godavari in the coastal region, the statement added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Details out: What Rahul Gandhi did during his two-month-long sabbatical