Nine dead, crops damaged as unseasonal heavy rains lash Andhra Pradesh
Hyderabad: At least nine people were killed in rain-related incidents across Andhra Pradesh in the last two days, authorities said on Saturday.
The unseasonal rains also damaged agricultural and horticultural crops in various districts of the state.
"Nine people died in rain-related incidents in the last 48 hours," Revenue (disaster management) department said in a statement here.
While six persons were killed due to thunderbolt, two persons died in a house collapse whereas a fisherman died when his boat capsized.
"Two persons died when a house collapsed in Mahbubnagar district whereas six persons due to lightening across Prakasam, Srikakulam and Warangal districts," the statement said, adding that a fisherman died in Prakasam district.
The statement further said, "Out of total 1128 Mandals in the state, 35 Mandals received very heavy rainfall, 146 Mandals heavy rainfall and 158 Mandals received `rather heavy` rainfall".
The rainfall was modest across 280 Mandals, the statement said.
"Agriculture crops in nearly 10,000 hectares were damaged in 10 districts, while Horticulture crops in 35910 hectares were affected in 12 districts," it said.
As per the information given by the Civil Supply Department, due to unseasonal very heavy rains, about 1200 tonnes of paddy has became wet at the paddy purchase centres.
"However, the paddy is of boiled variety and normally water will be added before processing (it) in boiled mills. So the paddy is being moved to the boiled mills by the district administration," the statement informed.
The department predicted "heavy to very heavy rains" at isolated places in districts of Srikakulam, Vizianagaram, Visakhapatnam and East Godavari in the coastal region, the statement added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next