No decision possible on Telangana without consensus: Azad
Hyderabad: Debunking the claim of Telangana Rashtra Samiti president K Chandrasekhar Rao that decision on the creation of Telangana state would be announced by the Centre by Dussehra, Union Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad on Friday said a decision will be taken only after arriving at a "consensus".
"Bifurcation of Andhra Pradesh is certainly not an easy task, unlike that of UP, MP and Bihar. The Centre cannot take a decision on Telangana till a consensus is arrived at," he told reporters this evening, before leaving for New Delhi.
Union Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde had recently ruled out an all-party meeting on Telangana.
Azad arrived here this afternoon to inaugurate a health fair and later addressed party workers at the Congress office.
The AICC general secretary, in charge of AP affairs, maintained that discussions should be held with leaders from all three regions of the state. "The consultations are on for the past two years and we are discussing the issue with leaders at different levels. Division is not an easy task."
His remarks assume significance in the wake of stepped-up activity over Telangana in the recent days.
Though he returned "empty-handed" after a month-long stay in New Delhi, TRS chief KCR had reportedly told the Telangana supporters that Centre had taken a decision, and formal announcement would be made by Dussehra.
There was also a speculation that KCR, in his informal talks with some AICC leaders in Delhi, offered to merge his outfit with Congress if it announced creation of Telangana state.
Congress MPs from the region too were seeking to put more pressure on the high command, while some ministers were meeting AICC leaders to press the demand.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM