No need to refer Telangana resolution to AP assembly: Telangana MPs
New Delhi: Two MPs from Telangana region of Andhra Pradesh on Thursday criticised Chief Minister Kiran Kumar Reddy, saying there was no provision under the Constitution for voting in a legislative assembly while carving out a new state.
In two separate press conferences here, Congress Rajya Sabha member Pallavai Govardhan Reddy and TRS Lok Sabha member Gaddam Vivekanand argued the resolution for a separate state need not be referred to the state assembly.
"There was no assembly resolution when Bombay and Gujarat, besides Punjab and Haryana were formed," Reddy told reporters here.
"The President would send the draft bill to the assembly only for comments and not even for opinion. It (voting) is not mandatory under the Constitution," he argued.
He also criticised the Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister who wrote to the Centre seeking to refer the bifurcation issue to the state assembly for appropriate resolution.
Vivekanand, representing Peddapalle Lok Sabha constituency, charged the Chief Minister was not speaking the truth on the issue. "There is no provision in the Constitution for passing a resolution" he stated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video