No quid pro quo in cabinet decisions under YSR: Kiran Reddy
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy has said "there is no quid pro quo" in the decisions taken by Cabinet headed the then Chief Minister Y S Rajasekhara Reddy, prompting YSR Congress to claim "moral victory" as its chief Jaganmohan Reddy battles graft charges.
The Chief Minister was seeking to defend some of his cabinet colleagues, who were also ministers under YSR and are now facing CBI probe in the Jagan`s disproportionate assests case as well as other related cases like illegal mining of iron ore by former Karnataka minister Gali Janardhan Reddy’s company.
"The ministers had merely implemented the Cabinet decisions and accordingly the 26 GOs were issued.
"There is no quid pro quo in issuing the GOs and no benefits accrued to anyone," Kiran told reporters last evening.
YSR Congress was quick to latch on to the chief minister`s comments to defend its chief Jagan, son or late YSR.
"If there was no quid pro quo, where was the need for a case against Jagan? It only makes clear that the case is a party of a conspiracy against Jagan.
"People have realised this conspiracy and that you (Congress) are party to it," YSRC spokesman and MLC Jupudi Prabhakar Rao said.
"In such case the state government should tell the Supreme Court ? which issued notices to six ministers ? that there was no quid pro quo in the deals," Jupudi demanded.
Kiran also claimed that the state government was "not a
party" in the Jagan’s case when in fact the case primarily rests on the 26 controversial Government Orders issued during YSR?s tenure.
Disputing the Chief Minister`s claim, Jupudi said, "As per the petition filed by former minister P Shanker Rao, both Government of India and Government of AP are party to the case.
"The High Court specifically wanted the government to respond to the case."
Kiran`s claims also left some senior Congress leaders bewildered.
"He (Kiran) kept on telling that (former minister) Mopidevi Venkata Ramana was innocent in the Vanpic issue. Kiran himself was shocked when the CBI arrested Mopidevi in the case," a former minister said.
The Chief Minister`s latest assertions could lead to more embarrassment for both the Congress and the government if the CBI proves the culpability of the ministers in question, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh