No quid pro quo in cabinet decisions under YSR: Kiran Reddy
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy has said "there is no quid pro quo" in the decisions taken by Cabinet headed the then Chief Minister Y S Rajasekhara Reddy, prompting YSR Congress to claim "moral victory" as its chief Jaganmohan Reddy battles graft charges.
The Chief Minister was seeking to defend some of his cabinet colleagues, who were also ministers under YSR and are now facing CBI probe in the Jagan`s disproportionate assests case as well as other related cases like illegal mining of iron ore by former Karnataka minister Gali Janardhan Reddy’s company.
"The ministers had merely implemented the Cabinet decisions and accordingly the 26 GOs were issued.
"There is no quid pro quo in issuing the GOs and no benefits accrued to anyone," Kiran told reporters last evening.
YSR Congress was quick to latch on to the chief minister`s comments to defend its chief Jagan, son or late YSR.
"If there was no quid pro quo, where was the need for a case against Jagan? It only makes clear that the case is a party of a conspiracy against Jagan.
"People have realised this conspiracy and that you (Congress) are party to it," YSRC spokesman and MLC Jupudi Prabhakar Rao said.
"In such case the state government should tell the Supreme Court ? which issued notices to six ministers ? that there was no quid pro quo in the deals," Jupudi demanded.
Kiran also claimed that the state government was "not a
party" in the Jagan’s case when in fact the case primarily rests on the 26 controversial Government Orders issued during YSR?s tenure.
Disputing the Chief Minister`s claim, Jupudi said, "As per the petition filed by former minister P Shanker Rao, both Government of India and Government of AP are party to the case.
"The High Court specifically wanted the government to respond to the case."
Kiran`s claims also left some senior Congress leaders bewildered.
"He (Kiran) kept on telling that (former minister) Mopidevi Venkata Ramana was innocent in the Vanpic issue. Kiran himself was shocked when the CBI arrested Mopidevi in the case," a former minister said.
The Chief Minister`s latest assertions could lead to more embarrassment for both the Congress and the government if the CBI proves the culpability of the ministers in question, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Experts hail Indian Army's surgical strikes on Pakistan
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says