Notices to two in Jagan DA case
Hyderabad: A special CBI court here Thursday ordered issuance of notices against a current and a former Andhra Pradesh minister accused in the disproportionate assets case against YSR Congress Chief Y S Jaganmohan Reddy.
The order was passed in response to CBI`s plea that no sanction was needed to prosecute them.
Roads and Buildings Minister Dharmana Prasada Rao and former Minister Mopidevi Venkata Ramana Rao, who was holding the Excise portfolio when he was arrested in May this year, are among the 14 chage-sheeted accused in this case.
Venkata Ramana Rao is presently under judicial custody.
CBI has contended that sanction for prosecution against both the accused was not necessary and court may take cognisance of cases against them under Prevention of Corruption Act.
Dharmana was the Revenue Minister in the YS Rajsekhara Reddy`s tenure in 2004-2009, when the `Vanpic Project` was conceived.
Mopidevi was then Infrastructure Minister.
The CBI said as the two accused no more held the same portfolios, sanction for prosecution was not required.
After ordering issuance of notices against Dharmana and Mopidevi, court today posted the matter to December 31.
Andhra Pradesh government, on November 23, had rejected the CBI`s plea for prosecution of Dharmana.
According to CBI, promoter of Vanpic Project Nimmagadda Prasad invested Rs 854 crore in the companies belonging to Jagan.
In return, he was awarded several government projects.
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights?
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part II
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part III
- Anurag Kashyap will strike back with 'Raman Raghav 2.0' : Nawazuddin Siddiqui
- AgustaWestland VVIP chopper scam: Sonia Gandhi stashed bribe money in Geneva's Sarasin Bank?
- World record: 23-year-old Tobago batsman Iraq Thomas slams T20 century off 21 balls
- Donald Trump hints at taking India's help in dealing with `unstable` Pakistan
- Champions League: Cristiano Ronaldo remains doubtful for 2nd leg against Manchester City